Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Antiques & Collectibles
  Looking for Veal Switch Baptist Church cookbook
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Veal Switch Baptist Church cookbook Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
I know this is a long-shot, but thought it would not hurt to ask as cookbooks find ways to spread out across the country when given as gifts.

I am looking for a cookbook published for Veal Switch Missionary Baptist Church of Hughes Springs Texas in the mid to late 1980s. There are two dedications in the front of the book. One of them is to Dorothy Jordan. She is my son's grandmother. I gave him my only copy. He lost it in a move.

No one local has one that they will part with.
So, if you have one, please send me a PM and let me know how much you would like to get for your copy.

I have a friend with a well-used copy who will loan it to me to copy. But I would like to find the real thing for my son.

THANKS!

Posts: 17083 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nikintx
posted Hide Post
Sherry,

I've looked through my stash of old cookbooks and haven't one for Veal Switch. You might try running a small ad in your local newspaper. Not sure if Hughes Springs has a newspaper anymore, but anything local might get a response, even if it's Mt. Pleasant.

Posts: 46 | Location: Gilmer, Texas, USA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Niki - There's still a paper that serves Daingerfield, Hughes Springs, and the surrounding area. I had not thought of that. For a small local paper, they are definitely proud of their classified ads - prices are ridiculous. I will give work-of-mouth a bit of time...but will probably have to put an ad in the paper.

I have posted on my Facebook page as well as a garage sale-type group on FB. This past Friday and Saturday I dropped in on five garage sales looking.

Posts: 17083 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nikintx
posted Hide Post
I too, will be on the lookout. I'll be on the Highway 80 garage sale on Friday, going from Longview to Mineola, I might have some luck. The customers are going, but will the vendors do likewise?

Posts: 46 | Location: Gilmer, Texas, USA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
KYIS - have you thought of contacting that C-hurch (or the local congregation if it no longer meets) and ask if anyone has one? Someone may have a copy from an estate or downsize that they might be willing to part with. Worth a try.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Niki - Hope the Hwy 80 sale is a good one!

Junk Collector - Yes, I have contacted the church. We are a small area and pretty much know everyone around. One of the clerks in the courthouse attends church there and she's looking for me.

I did contact my son's cousin...and asked her that if I did not find a replacement cookbook could I borrow hers to copy and promised to return it. The answer was basically ... 'Sorry,of all the things I have in my house that is the one thing that will never leave it. But I will copy Granny's recipes for him."

In other words, if the situation were reversed and I loaned her my cookbook, she would keep it.

Besides, Granny's recipes were in her head. I am the one who wrote them down and sent them to the cookbook committee.

posted Hide Post
Someone contacted me on Facebook and gave me the name of a woman who now lives out of state - she might have one. I've messaged her.

Several people are looking for me.

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you have a lead. Out of curiosity, how long ago was his copy lost? It took me over three years to find a book that was lost in our last move. Gotta shake those boxes!

Posts: 3276 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The out of state woman did not have the cookbook.

He's moved three times since he lost the book. He's pretty sure a roommate snagged it...probably 4-5 years ago.

I found a local church cookbook on eBay! But wrong church. I'll keep looking there too.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
If you know of someone that has the cookbook, I would just ask them to copy it. If they won't let it out of their hands, ask if they would go with you to the copy place and copy it for you.

I think that would be the best bet.

Who knows one of these days at a rummage sale or something similar you'll find the book for a dime!

Martha

Posts: 5938 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martha, I will just borrow a friends cookbook to copy. I can do that at home.

The nearest copy place is 25 miles from home and...well, you would just have to know the cousin and her mother...they are a 'trip' to deal with. Of course, I'm sure that they think the same thing about me. Wink But...if the situation was reversed, I would make a copy of my cookbook and give it to them...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,