Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Antiques & Collectibles
  Estate Sales Dismal This Year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Estate Sales Dismal This Year Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
With garage sale season winding down, it looks to have been a very frustrating year, sale-wise. A few weeks ago, my next-door neighbor, the people across the street and I had a mini-neighborhood sale. I think three cars stopped all weekend. I was talking to the guy next door afterwards and he said it isn't like they are stopping and not buying, they just aren't stopping! The items I did manage to sell I had to let go at a half to a third of the asking price, especially antique furniture, just to free up some space in the house. I still have my mom's 27-piece luncheon set for 8 of green Depression glass (Horseshoe pattern). I have a $150 price tag on it (eBay prices average $20 PER PIECE). Only one woman looked at it and offered me $80 which I refused. I wonder if it's worth bothering with anymore this year - I've noticed that after Labor Day, it's like someone turns off the switch - it's was bad enough BEFORE Labor Day. I think because people have gotten their school tax bills and/or are saving for holiday shopping. Now with the U S Govt shutdown, people will probably really be getting tight with their bucks.

Posts: 590 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still have my mom's 27-piece luncheon set for 8 of green Depression glass (Horseshoe pattern). I have a $150 price tag on it (eBay prices average $20 PER PIECE). Only one woman looked at it and offered me $80 which I refused.

Ebay has the world as customers. You had one woman. I bet if you had countered at $100 she would have taken it.

I went to a yard sale the other day, just because I know the man and wanted to give him some things. He said china was way down. No one interested in it. An antique consignment shoppe had told me the same thing last week.

Posts: 12146 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that dish pattern before. That's rather pretty.

Speaking of eBay - why don't you try selling there? You could sell it as a set, but would get more for it piece by piece.

If you have the time and inclination, you could sell all of your small easier to package pieces.

Posts: 16479 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
Even items I get "nibbles" on seldom pan out. For instance, I have 4 artist easels I took from my aunt's estate. An aunt on the other side of the family said she might be interested and to send her photos, but when I did she said she didn't want them. Another cousin said his wife might want them because she works at a center for the learning disabled and could use them in the studio there, so I also sent her pics. I am asking $20 each for the white one farthest left and the lilac one, $15 for the natural wood one and $10 for the other white one, or $50 as a bulk lot. I didn't hear anything, so I followed up on it. Cousin's wife said that unless they were a donation (i.e. give them to her for free), she wasn't interested.

Posts: 590 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give them to her. You need to rid yourself and your mind of this stuff. The stuff is dragging you down.

Posts: 1924 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah! Give them to her and she has to come pick up - do not deliver.

Or call your local school's art department and donate to them.

Posts: 16479 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give them to your cousin-the learning disabled are worthy and probably don't have much fluff in their budget. Don't know why you hesitated to do so in the first place.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I gave away a Clayton Marcus sofa and a huge glass fronted cabinet last week. I have been having a lot of good luck or Karma since. I felt better after GIVING it away. The few bucks that some people will give for something will never go as far.

html

Posts: 2414 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
flboy, you stated that well.
I love to find new homes for things, and the more I am generous about doing so, the more wonderful things seem to come to me!

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had my last garage sale too. Anything usable is either passed on to friends or family. If it is an item that they would not want, then it goes to a local organization for the needy in my community where all is given away, not sold.

Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
I can't afford to be giving things away. Now that I'm retired, I need every penny I can wring out from my sales to live off during winter.

posted Hide Post
Weakestlink,
But your general market seems to be telling you they are not in the market for the items you drag in and out several times a year at your sales. Still say, donate and let it go and find a different avenue for fundraising to help support you.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't sell...no matter how many times you drag it out it is still not going to sell.

Or how about at the next sale, get some red stickers for the last day and everything red-stickered is half price.