Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Antiques & Collectibles
  Help to ID & value-Gentelmen's Dresser?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help to ID & value-Gentelmen's Dresser? Sign In/Join 
posted
We have just moved my grandpa into assisted living and I have been put in charge of trying to sell some of his antique furniture. I am not an expert by any means and I am looking for help in identifying pieces and putting a value on them. He is going to be needing money so I want to make sure I am getting the right price for things. If anyone has any information on this dresser, I would appreciate it (I have a lot of other things I may post needing help on too if anyone can help Smile I will attach a picture of the dresser. I did post it online for sale and had so much interest it overwhelmed me and made me worried that maybe I had underpriced it, so I thought I should do a little more research before selling. Please let me know if you have any information on this piece. Thank you for your time!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Early 1900's it looks to be. I think if it were in mint condition you could get 650. Go to some local antique stores and look around at similar pieces. Put an ad on Ebay and Craigslist. Good luck. Go visit your grand father!!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1180 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW! That isn't my preferred style at all, but I would decorate a whole room around it if it fell in my lap.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you are and what prices are there but I purchased a similar dresser here about 6 months ago and only paid $300. I am in Portland, OR if that helps.

Posts: 2909 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last summer I saw a couple in MI that owners were asking around $350.00, but no telling what price they accepted.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
If I had a bigger room, it would fit right in with the bedroom set I inherited from my DM! VERY nice!

I would figure $300 - $600 depending on location.

Posts: 17365 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
It looks like it is in mint condition. You know what you asked for it and the resulting great interest. What did you tell those prospective buyers? Did you remove it from the sale site you had it on?

Wait a while and put it back on and ask twice as much. Then you will find out from that response whether you have it priced correctly or not.

It is hard to say the value from one part of the country to another.

Posts: 13073 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post