Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antique Ginger Jar Sign In/Join 
posted
I was given a Antique Ginger Jar from a family member and I would love to know more about it but Im lost. Ive asked local dealers and they don't know and I couldn't find much online. Anyone ever seen this before?

symbol on the bottom

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here is another photo of the jar.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Antique Ginger Jar

this is not a ginger jar but a so-called temple jar... proportions are not right for an antique jar, it is elongated too much.

-- Aljur Abby
Blue Hand Home

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
An antique has to be 50 years old according to my mother. We have an antique ginger jar. Thank you for reminding me about it. Our's is 5 inches (without the cap) top to bottom; 4.5 inches in diameter at its widest. Our's is a simple blue and white with two birds(we think kiwis) painted on one side and one on the other, with a few rice plants. It is a simple blue and white design. The cap is only 3 inches across. It has rice plants in blue across the top. She believes it came from her Japanese college students. We have pictures of them holding my little hand when we went to the park/zoo. Not sure....I was young. And yes, I qualify as an antique, too. Smile hehehe

Posts: 5044 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have always heard vintage or collectable is anything under a hundred, and hundred or over can only be considered an antique.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that most things should be 100 years old or older to be classified as "antique."

"Vintage" covers anything younger than that.

Posts: 16461 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16461 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
lol

While away at college, my parents were watching some tv program. The commentator said that antiques were 50 years in age. My young sister turned to our parents and called them both antiques because they had just turned 50. LOL I'll take the term vintage over antique anyday.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

Posts: 5044 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WinkWe are either vintage or perhaps collectible:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antique

Personally, I'd rather be vintage than collectible!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

posted Hide Post
Or these definitions...LOL...
1) Antique. Something that is, like, really old. Probably musty, dusty and moldy. Probably made of wood. Usually unstylish.
2) Vintage. Something that is too old to be considered "used" but not as old as Grandma. By calling it "vintage" the seller tries to distract the buyer from the item's blatant imperfections. Like many "retro" items, "vintage" items are often either mid-century modern (in style if not in fact) or related to bygone pop culture, junk food or fashion trends.
3) Retro. Something that is basically outdated and out of style. By calling it "retro" the seller hopes to assign sentimental or historical value to something that is simply no longer cool. Or, the "retro" item may actually be quite new but is "preloved" (i.e., pretty beat up).

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Love those definitions Sherry!

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get a lot of information about antiques on the internet. another option would be to visit an antiques dealer in your area or you could also visit a pawn shop, may be you can find the information you are looking for.

Good Luck!

Posts: 10 | Location: Killeen | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post