Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goofus Glass Vases Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
These are free stuff "rescues". Neighbors had a moving sale, then put the unsold items out for free. Apparently people going to garage sales don't want antique glass, even for free. A little research indicates that these 7" tall vases are goofus glass. There are two with a floral design which are clear glass and two with a grape motif that have been cold painted. On the painted ones, the paint is starting to flake off (the one I didn't show only has about 20% coverage left). Would it be advisable to just clean off the old, flaking paint? If so, what's the best way?

Posts: 590 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I did a little research for you. If the paint is mostly gone, you can wash it off completely. The glass is more valuable if it has most of the paint on it yet. Handle the painted glass as little as possible to prevent more flaking. Wash only the non-painted part of the glass.

I just did a google search & came up with this information. Good luck with your glass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
Thanks for doing the search, mgt.

Posts: 590 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Aw, you're welcome. Glad to help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with mgt. You can scrape off all of the paint so that it will still look appealing. Too bad I wasn't able to see your picture here. I'm wondering why they didn't get it even if it's free.

- One

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These glass vases are of unique designs but not looking good. These are of old designs. Now a days these are just out of fashion.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who cares if they are out of fashion. They look awesome. I don't really care if something is popular now or not. It's just a fad. If I like something I like it and that is all that matters to me.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 733 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3 | Location: NC | Registered: Sep 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post