Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antique or not? Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
I've been trying to sell this 4-leg, caned-seat stool for $25 and advertised it as an antique because of the caned seat. A man stopped at my tag sale and said it wasn't an antique because the seat was in too good condition. He offered me $2 which I refused. Now I am left wondering if just because a piece of furniture has caning - is it an antique?

Posts: 590 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
It can still be an antique with a new cane bottom.

Whether it is or not, I couldn't tell you. But I would have turned down $2 too.

You need to look for wear patterns on the rungs. Does it show scuffs and "excessive" wear from feet, shoes, boots? How is it assembled - nails or staples? If cleaned up and lemon oiled - would it look perfect?

Posts: 16479 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
The quality of the caning has nothing to do with the inherent age of a chair. Of course if it had the original caning it might be more valuable.

Both you and your customer were wrong. Caning is done every day so it would not mean a piece of furniture was antique. He was wrong because the stool could still be old and just have new caning which is obviously the case here.

It's ironic because if this were hand caning (rather than a sheet of caning) it would cost much more than $25 to have it done. Also a new seat would make the whole stool more valuable.

However $25 would be high if selling to someone who wants to re-sell it.

Posts: 12146 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
And if I had no use for it, I would have sold it for 2 dollars and been done with it.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a sturdy stool in need of a lot of cleaning and refinishing. Also it looks like wood was partially replaced on the seat. Hard to tell if its antique, but not all antiques are valuable. Knowing the position you're in cleaning out your parents house, I too would have sold it for $2 or at least countered at $4. You really need to let this stuff go and get on with your life. I just am amazed at your perserverance.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
Here are some photos of the underside:

Posts: 590 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
That was not done with sheet caning. I LOVE that stool! I would buy it but the shipping might get expensive. Is it high enough to work as a vanity stool? I bought a stool that was in terrible shape that I spent 15 dollars for and then had to recover it. I like yours so much better. Maybe we can work out a deal. Post if you are interested.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
I see you're in Iowa. Pretty far from upstate NY. The stool is 23" tall and the seat is 13" diameter.

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
That's ok, I probably should not get yours anyway since we fixed up another stool. I still think it is so cute though!

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Love it...I would spruce it up a bit (or not) and place a lovely fern on it Smile

Posts: 2775 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weakestlink:
I've been trying to sell this 4-leg, caned-seat stool for $25 and advertised it as an antique because of the caned seat. A man stopped at my tag sale and said it wasn't an antique because the seat was in too good condition. He offered me $2 which I refused. Now I am left wondering if just because a piece of furniture has caning - is it an antique?

Why don't you visit a pawn shop? They accept a wide range of antiques. I am sure you can get a good deal over there.

Posts: 10 | Location: Killeen | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post