Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

farm trough vaule? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi. I have a large farm trough and i'm trying to find it's value but can't find anything remotely similar online! Help! Dimensions are 17" high by 33" across. About half inch thick cast iron. My friend priced it out as scrap metal and it was basically worthless! I feel it's worth a lot to the right buyer though. High end landscape project etc. If anyone knows about this... or has a link that shows/talks about it that would be great. The file size is too big to post! Please email me if you know about this type of item and I will email you pic. shaggy1234@optonline.net

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Just reduce the size of your picture and post here for more responses. All private messages t hrough this site are sent incognito!

If I had this item I would check with the closest salvage/architectural supply business in your area. But they would need pictures too, and lower resolution pics are easier to send and to receive.

Also there is the length of the item to include

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
One of the easiest ways to reduce a photo size is to use Paint.
Open Paint
Find that photo and open it.
Look for Resize
Delete by percentage until you get it down to 150kb or smaller.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, doesn't really look like any of those! It's pretty big as you can tell from the picture. No markings on it, unless it's on the bottom.... Have to drain and turn over somehow maybe. Just want to sell it but don't want to get ripped off! Salvage architectural place may say a price they'd buy it for... Doesn't mean it's what it's worth!

posted Hide Post
Okay. Even though it is not a wash pot (at least not like any I've seen), I am going to assume that the size, weight, and value would be similar to a cast iron wash pot. I found those on eBay too.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html...t&_sacat=0&_from=R40

If it were mine, I doubt that I would take less than $200.

posted Hide Post
Thanks. Yea it doesn't look like a wash pot at all really... It was on a farm, so maybe just a decorative over sized water collector for garden purposes? That's what my grandfather used it for. Use to dip his watering can in it and wander around watering things. Maybe that's all it ever was... ? But either way I'm hunting for it's value before I price it. Suspect a high end landscape would love it for a fountain or period looking detail. Just have to connect with the right audience somehow.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Salvage architectural place may say a price they'd buy it for... Doesn't mean it's what it's worth!

No, of course not. They are going to tell you what they would pay you for it. Here's a little secret Chucky, no one is going to pay an individual the same price the same item would sell for in a business. Doesn't mean they want to "rip you off" that is just the way it is.

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think that unless it is marked some how it would just be scrap. Just because it is old does not mean it is worth anything.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.. Yes, I agree. Plenty of old things have no value what so ever. I kinda feel this is unique and worth big bucks to the right person! There are a lot of farm areas with estates around me. I'm thinking authentic water feature, or some type of landscape detail. Just have to figure out how to market to the right people. I've had it on Craigs List for the past month but no action really... Idk what to do?

posted Hide Post
I think on Craigs list people are looking for a bargin and you might not get what you want for it. Are there any antique appraisers where you live that can look at the farm trough and give you an answer on how old it is and what it is worth?

Posts: 342 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contacted one today. Was hoping to find one online and get an idea of its priced. Craigslist is alright if you know the value of something. I'll let this post know what it's worth when I find out.