Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Antiques & Collectibles
  Dining room furniture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dining room furniture Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi

I inherited a dining room set. It is very old. I am trying to find out If its worth anything. I was on eBay and found a similar piece for sale at $2500. If someone has any expertise at identifying what I have please message me and I'll send a picture. Thanks

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The style of your furniture is Tudor Revival .It was very popular in the 1920's. It originally would have had a dark varnish finish which has been removed. The removal of the finish greatly devalues the furniture as far as its "vintage"appeal. Someone may be interested in it based on the quality of the wood, but $2500. is a very unrealistic price for this type of furniture.Rememnber that the prices listed on Ebay are what people are hoping to get, not the actual value. Tons of this stuff was made for middle class families during the 1920's boom, just before the Crash of 1929.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dining room furniture

Well, dining rooms are all about crowding a group of friends around the dinner table with some delicious food, good wine and plenty of conversation but creating the right atmosphere can also set the tone and help get the party started... Smile

-- Aljur Abby
Blue Hand Home

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
That's an awesome piece, Jen...hope you keep it in the family Smile

Posts: 2877 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before you get your hopes up, remember ASKING PRICE may be more or less than what an item sells for.

We, heirs, have consulted an apprsiser (for a fee); now we must decide to go with a local, or an international - after researhing BBB and online blogs, it may be in our best interests to consign.

Posts: 5029 | Location: NE of S.F. | Registered: Apr 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that $2500 is rather high for such a piece. It is a nice one. Keep it in the family!

Zach Dillinger
The Eaton County Joinery
www.theeatoncountyjoinery.com

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shop for dining room furniture & sets and other furniture & living at Pier 1.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visit: www.exportingart.com.They have a galery that is devoted to the works of artists and the arts and antiques are sold through the online store/galery.

da

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post