Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Antiques & Collectibles
  How is the current market for antique furniture?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is the current market for antique furniture? Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
I ask because I found a business card that someone had probably given to my mother years ago. The card said that the person named on the card bought antiques and used furniture. I called him and asked if he was still in the furniture business because I had several items I was interested in selling. Although he said he still was in the business, he was less than enthusiastic about furniture. He explained that the antique furniture business has dropped off the charts. He has a barn full of antiques and isn't selling any of it and what he does sell he's taking a large loss (e.g. a wash stand he bought 10 years ago for $200 he sold for $75). What he is really interested in now is gold, silver and jewelry (like hundreds of other dealers right now). I just wanted another opinion on the antique furniture market or if this gentleman is just crying "hard times" so he can get antiques dirt cheap.

Posts: 590 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I sold some antique prints for under $10.00 and the people who bickered about the price were dealers.I sold clothes(used) for more money then the print.

html

Posts: 2417 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with the gentleman. We go to a big antique market monthly and not much is selling and dealers are complaining. Don't see the red sold tags nearly as much as in the past.

Posts: 3055 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Antique furniture are not that huge hit now as it was before but the value of the great finds is still maintained. Most of the ones who buy antiques are collectors and not really just redecorating their house.

- One

This message has been edited. Last edited by: onelyn,

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How is the current market for antique furniture?

It's true, at least in the auction market, that furniture is in a very slow part of the collectibles cycle right now...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aljurabby,

-- Aljur Abby
Blue Hand Home

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actual antique furniture is somewhat down, true. But reproductions of pieces that look old and that can actually be used are still selling. I do ok Smile

Zach Dillinger
The Eaton County Joinery
www.theeatoncountyjoinery.com

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16527 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who's advertising? That was a legitimate comment, that actual old (read expensive) pieces are down, but the desire for the old style is still there, meaning that the drop is more a function of money than of changing style.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm more than happy to edit the post if necessary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zdillinger,

Zach Dillinger
The Eaton County Joinery

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry if I interpreted this wrong, but your link goes to what I assume is your site where you have reproduction furniture for sale.

There have been so many blatant advertisers on the different HGTV forums who register and post strictly to generate traffic on their websites in order to sell their goods. It is sometimes hard to pick the legitimate users of this site from those who break the rules.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16527 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problem Sherry.I can certainly see how my post could be interpreted that way. I'm just proud of the work I do. But I do seek to add something to the group, given my knowledge and study of antique furniture. I'm not out to sell anything, just out to share! Perhaps I should change the link in my signature to point to my blog instead, that way there can be no confusion.

Zach Dillinger
The Eaton County Joinery

posted Hide Post

Picture of nikintx
posted Hide Post
Unfortunetly, you see a lot of good antique furniture being painted turquise, sanded and repurposed. An old upright piano into a bar, Duncan Phyfe buffet into child's wardrobe. These beautiful trunks filled with dirt for flowers. This all reminds me of the 1970s when sideboards were cut down for coffee tables and antique quilts became tablecloths. I still like the look of a good antique piece of furniture, recently waxed and buffed. Oh, the smell is heaven!

Posts: 41 | Location: Gilmer, Texas, USA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
i was checking out the chair my mother used as a desk chair...was cleaning it and had flipped it over..it was moosehead from a place in maine..the actual factory was closed 2 years ago..but it's solid rock maple (she bought in ca in the late 50's) if i tried to sell it on ebay along with the desk (also solid maple) i'd probably get less than she paid! and of course noone is doing colonial, lol..in total i have 4 pieces...my dd took the coffee table and uses it...

Posts: 8482 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nikintx
posted Hide Post
Since the desk and chair are now mid-century, which is very popular,you might see if one of your local antique shops would take the furniture on consignment. I recently saw a complete living room set of rock maple with red plaid upholstery from the 1950's and they wanted an arm and a leg.

Posts: 41 | Location: Gilmer, Texas, USA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post