Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted
I posted this on the quilting board also because it was in my Grandmother's sewing things. I don't know what it is. Had it for a long time though. It is 3-3/8 inches long at longest point and 3-1/4 inches in circumference.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Is the small end open?

Posts: 12606 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is but it is a very small hole. I would say big enough to put a heavy thread through. She made a lot of braided rugs and I have her braiders but this one is a mystery.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5564 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe for pushing out nice tight corners for pillow/cushion covers??

Posts: 5634 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen elongated thimbles fitted at the end with a small spike for tattting heavier cotton lace. Perhaps that is what this is?

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Is this used for folding the fabrics while braiding the rugs?

Posts: 3271 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nikintx
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the sewing aspect on this item, but I have seen items like this before. It might be a cornucopia cookie mold. Roll out the cookie dough and cut it in strips and wrap the strips around the mold and bake in the oven on a cookie sheet. The cookies are meant to be small, and are filled with fruit and or pudding. The ones I saw came in a box of 12. The box was vintage looking, probably were used in the 40's or 50's.

Posts: 46 | Location: Gilmer, Texas, USA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Arkansas #1
posted Hide Post
I think this fits on a treadle sewing machine to make pleats with.

Use it up,wear it out,make do or do without.Mama said!!!

Posts: 1649 | Location: SW AR | Registered: Jan 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think this fits on a treadle sewing machine to make pleats with

My Mom sewed all her life on a treadle type machine and I never saw anything like this connected with sewing. There is no way to fasten this to a machine.

Also I have a tatting shuttle and that too looks nothing like this. The cookie form sounds most likely. No it really doesn't unless you had a mold for each cookie. It's a mystery!

Posts: 12606 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
DM's old sewing machine had pleat maker attachment to the presser foot and it looked nothing like this.
I saw a stack of 8 of these, shiney new metal, at a local thrift store in the kitchen misc. No one knew what they were there either, but the cookie form for a cone shaped cookie makes the most sense to me yet also.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Found a picture! Thanks for the idea, nikintx
http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-...-Molds/dp/B0000CFMSP

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post