Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Antiques & Collectibles
  Selling Original Art
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling Original Art Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
I haven't had much luck selling the paintings my aunt did. People that even bother to look at them say they are "primitive" or "not my style". My aunt did mostly landscapes and still life (see samples). What ARE people looking for these days in art style?

Posts: 605 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, most "family" art does not sell. Husband's family went through this when an aunt died...no one was interested in her paintings. I do not know what happened to them.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
i have 3 oils 2 by one lady, one by another...and havn't a clue wha the floral rose watercolors painted by a actor friend, would get..he wasn't a "name" and mostly played bit parts...was in the old series of hazel (1960)i supposei'd take the art and show it at a local flea market..(if you need to get rid of it...frankly your pieces are nice, homey and colorful...but them i'm also 66, homey, and comfortable, lol..

Posts: 8582 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
not sure what part of "upstate " you are in, but at the Arnot Mall, near Elmira/Corning they have a galery that is devoted to the works of elderly "primitive" painters. Local older people who paint because they love to and the art is sold through the store/galery.

I;m sorry I can't tell you more, I just know I've seen it when I shop there, every year or so.

Also check with your local office for the aging, local art association and the local library they may have sources for selling local art.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
These are the works of what is known as a Sunday artist, someone who is self-taught and paints as a hobby. Most have no real value beyond the sentimental.

I have seen pieces like this for sale in garage sales or flea markets, but for a very low asking price. You can go this route or donate them to Goodwill. There are people (mostly young) who like to buy and frame these pieces specifically because they add an eclectic and pleasingly kitschy touch to their decor, for very little money.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I agree with aychihuahua.

weakestlink, Honestly I think you have been working way too hard with way too much effort on these estates you are attempting to liquidate. Life is short...please live it and let this stuff just go.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
Some of the price tags I found on her paintings were in the hundreds of dollars range. I wonder if she really ever sold that many because I can't sell any for over $5, even with ornate frames. Apparently she was good enough to win awards and give exhibitions around our area. Here is one I found with 2 prize ribbons attached.

Posts: 605 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Prices that artists put on their pieces are not normally a good indicator of actual value. The fact that she still had them is often telling enough.

Local exhibitions/shows are also not necessarily any indication of skill or value. (Awards are given on the basis of local competition) Once again the fact that you say that no one wants to purchase them for over 5 dollars is also revealing. Sorry.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey ! Check this out www.exportingart.com. They are providing a space to show works of visual art, art galleries etc. There is a huge collection of antiques and collectibles too. Smile

da

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post