Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Glass Etching?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glass Etching? Sign In/Join 
Picture of EvelynB
posted
Has anyone tried etching names on glass? WalMart has the 2-dish Pyrex casseroles for a great price online. I bought five sets and plan to try personalizing them as gifts. I usually mark mine with a Sharpie on the plastic lid but would love to etch the names on the glass. I also have fabric for our local college to make easy carriers. http://www.2littlehooligans.co...le-carrier-tutorial/

The WalMart deal has the 2-quart and the 3-quart covered casseroles for $11.24 with no shipping costs if sent to your store. I bought five sets.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/1565...=34447751590&veh=sem

Any hints?

Posts: 7545 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
I haven't etched anything on glass in a long time but the easiest way is to use an etching cream like Etch-All and a stencil. The stencil should be made of a flexible cling vinyl so it clings to the glass and prevents the etching cream from seeping underneath when applied.
I've also used my Dremel for etching.

Another option is painting the names on with acrylic enamel which becomes permanent when air dried for 21-22 days or baked on in your oven.

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kraftylady23
posted Hide Post
I actually purchased the same set from Walmart and etched the last name on each piece for a wedding gift. I cut my name out on my cricut with the vinyl and used it as my stencil, applied it to the side of the Pyrex dishes and then applied the etching cream and let set for the times required, washed off and it was beautiful and the happy couple loved it. On the small bowls I used the last initial as there was not room for the entire last name. Hope this answers your question.
Donna H.

djcreationsonline.com

Posts: 2763 | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Now I'm wanting a Cricut! I've bought two for my DIL for Christmas presents but she lives in another state. I bought the Armour Etching cream with a 40% off coupon today at Michaels. I have gloves. I bought a bunch of popsickle sticks to push around the cream. I need to remember to lock my cat out of the kitchen. She always thinks she should jump into whatever project I'm working on. The cream makes me nervous. I'll try to cut the letters out with a knife first before I spend money on a Cricut. I'm not into scrapbooking so I might never use it again. Ever tried it for applique? I'm a big quilter.

Posts: 7545 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post