Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  help with painting on glass
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help with painting on glass Sign In/Join 
Picture of hjvagar
posted
I have had some clear plates for a long time and just recently found a cute pattern for them. The pattern is actually painted on the top and bottom of the plate but I wanted to just do it on the bottom due to food issues. It said in the pattern to seal the glass before painting and after painting. Is that correct? Would painting on sealer first make it peel off easier or adhere better? And if I just paint and seal the bottom of the plate, it would be fine with food on the top right? I know it won't be able to be washed in a dishwasher but done by hand and gently so that's no problem. Thanks for any help!

Posts: 4289 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sealer issue depends on the type of paint you are using. I have always used glass paint and no sealer. The kind you put in the oven to cure. One year I made snowman soup and put it in cups with names painted on the handles. Nine years later the names are still on the cups that haven't gotten broken by the kids. Moms put the cups in the dishwasher also.

You can use the plates for food as long as it does not come in contact with the paint. It should be safe on the bottom of the plate.

Have you seen what they are doing with sharpies now?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: I M Joyce,

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jun 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
I'm using regular acrylic paints. I had glass paints but did not like them as much so they are long gone.
Sealer first, paint and then sealer again or just paint and then sealer? What would be best?

Posts: 4289 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kraftylady23
posted Hide Post
If you are going to use acrylic, however don't recommend it, enamels are much better. However if acrylic, seal, paint, and seal again. This will eventually peel off. Enamels don't peel off since they have a sealer and binder in the paint. I hate to see you go to all the trouble of painting some beautiful plates then have them peel off. Hope you don't mind my suggestion.

djcreationsonline.com

Posts: 2746 | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the answer. I wish I could afford enamel paints but not right now. Soooo now I'll just do one for myself to use this year. It's a cute pattern for cookies for Santa. If it peels, I can always do it again with better paints next time. Thanks again!

Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
I also prefer enamels but in the past I have painted glass plates with regular acrylics.

Instead of applying just a clear sealer over it I decoupaged crinkled tissue paper over the back of the plate after the paint was dry to create a textured background behind my painted design. It seals your painted design in between the plate and the decoupaged paper so it can't peel or scrape off. :-)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rainee,

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3203 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the tip rainee!

Picture of CrazyMe-Ma
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this will help or not but this is what I have been doing.

I've been painting on bottles & jars. I use my normal everyday craft paint. I make my design, let it dry then put a coat of clear glass paint over just my design. So far it has been working nicely.

Posts: 348 | Location: PA | Registered: Jan 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post