Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  gourds and paper clay
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gourds and paper clay Sign In/Join 
posted
I know some of use paint gourds. I have been doing this for a long time but now I want to add some details with paper clay. My question is do you mold the ears, feet, etc. onto the gourd or do you make them and then glue them on? If you glue them what kind of glue do you use? ^Thanks in advance.

Posts: 664 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Penmac
posted Hide Post
Hi...when I do my clay work I do it straight onto my gourds. I don't use paper clay though I use Apoxie Sculpt. I'm sure they must be similar though? If you were to glue them I think everyone likes E6000? I think that is the name. I like to use no more nails. I live in Canada and not sure you can get this in the USA?
Hope this helps
Penny

Today, Tomorrow and always!

If you see someone without a smile...give them one of yours!

Posts: 4569 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Oct 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Penmac. I thought I would sculpt right on the gourd also, but did not know if glue was necessary after it dried. Does anyone else use paper clay?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: notenoughtime,

Posts: 664 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of farmerswife
posted Hide Post
I agree with Penny that it's easier to sculpt right to the gourd. I, too, use Apoxie Sculpt. It adheres to surfaces without any glue. I've used Paper Clay in the past, and it sometimes needs glue in order to stick to surface really well. So it might be a good idea to apply a tiny bit of Elmer's glue to the gourd before adding the clay. Good luck, and have fun!

Posts: 1894 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Oct 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks farmerswife. since you both like the apoxie sculpt, I think I will try that. I would rather not have to mess with glue. Wink

posted Hide Post
A couple more questions please. Does that have an odor to it like regular epoxy? Also I see it is about $15.00 for a pound. Does it go very far? Thanks again

posted Hide Post
I'll add made my two cents...i don't use the apoxie sculpt. I use crayola clay, it comes in different colors, but i only use the white...it's soft right from the beginning and then air dries. I have rheumatoid arthritis and cannot manipulate clay very well. so this product works GREAT for me. I use super glue GEL, one little drop, works wonders...I also sculpt right on to the gourd. This does not smell very bad, if it smells at all.
An FYL, there's a creative clay that I like better than crayola but sometimes cannot purchase.
Melinda

Posts: 227 | Registered: Nov 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of farmerswife
posted Hide Post
Sorry that I didn't mention that the Apoxie Sculpt is a tad expensive. I've never used the clay that GourdSilly uses, but you may want to try that before purchasing the AS clay. I have used one similar to it a few years ago, but after setting up, it didn't harden enough for my satisfaction. The newer type may be better than what I used. As clay sets rock hard and can be sanded, if needed.

Posts: 1894 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Oct 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks gourd silly and farmer's wife. I have already scultpted a few things with this paper clay. I will let you know how that works. Farmerswife, you didn't say if the AS has an odor to it.

Picture of Penmac
posted Hide Post
Morning! Apoxie Sculpt has a slight odour to it but not so much that you can't work with it. It does take a bit to work with your hands so this maybe a problem for you? I get mine in 2 large tubs and this lasts me the entire year and believe me I make A LOT of stuff with it. My fav stuff so far to work with. It is expensive but well worth the money in my books.
Penny

Today, Tomorrow and always!

If you see someone without a smile...give them one of yours!

Posts: 4569 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Oct 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of farmerswife
posted Hide Post
I agree with everything that Penny has said. I also find that if you use a bit of petroleum jelly cream in the tube on your hands before working with it. It doesn't stick to your hands as much. Also keep a container of water on hand for a smooth finish. Not much, just a drop or two!

posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies , you are wealth of info about the apoxy. I only asked about the odor because some of the odors (like some glues) actually make me sick. My paper clay is dry and seems to be sticking very well to the gourds. However, I think the apoxy may even be less expensive than this paper clay. It doesn't seem to go very far and it is kind of expensive too. I will keep you informed and perhaps try the apoxy. Smile