Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Wanted: July 4th Ideas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: July 4th Ideas Sign In/Join 
Picture of Kpoohbare
posted
My Son & family are coming in for a visit from the 3rd til the 7th. I am going to do a cook out for the 4th for approx 15-20 people, need ideas for party decorating (tables etc) I already hit Dollar Tree & got a banner & some bows. And ideas to keep the kiddies busy (will only be a few) & ideas for lil gift bags/other I can make cheap for them?
Also looking for ways to 'dress up' the food?? And ideas for QUICK dishes to make (not just for the 4th, but for the whole week they are here) Some TnT lo-fat or diabetic ideas would be great too!
So far I am looking at these foods as possabilities..
Burgers & Hot dogs, maybe BBQ wings made ahead of time, taco dip with tortilla chips, baked beans or hobo beans, potato salad, cucumber salad, definite sugar free cake topped with strawberries & blueberries to resemble flag & sugar free coconut cream pie, maybe brownies or PB cookies??
Would you add/take away anything??
Any input or ideas would be fantastic!! Thanks all!! Smile

***** May Love & Laughter Lead Your Way *****

Posts: 1626 | Location: Pa | Registered: Jul 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
love your nice photo on your post.
sounds like you are going to have a fun but busy holiday. I don't know the ages of the children who will be there but here is a craft if you want them to mess with paints.

Posts: 2349 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here is a neat favor , or maybe other use. Lifesaver firecrackers. Go to Pinterest and you can find lots and lots of neat ideas and recipes but you need to have some extra time since you will be there a while
I really like these firecrackers

Posts: 2349 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kpoohbare
posted Hide Post
Love the firecracker idea, these would be fairly cheap if I can find the big packs of the life savers...or could use rolo's too (not as cheap tho lol) Thank You!!!
Any more ideas anyone??

***** May Love & Laughter Lead Your Way *****

Posts: 1626 | Location: Pa | Registered: Jul 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
this cake on pinterrest is soo cute http://www.plainchicken.com/20...-july-flag-cake.html and dollar tree has lots of cute decorations

Posts: 2942 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
How about spagetti salad or crock pot pizza.? Both are realy good and make a lot. Will post recipes if you want.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9960 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
How about Dollar store sip cup/bottle and put each persons name on it. With so many people around, you will be usng a lot of glasses, etc. This way, they each will have their own and not grabbing someone else's glass.

I'm thinking.

Jen

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9960 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted Hide Post
have u checked pinterest? type 4th of july crafts in search bar on the top left side.

Posts: 4891 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted Hide Post
did a search for you, try these:

http://pinterest.com/search/pi...%20kids&rs=ac&len=18

http://pinterest.com/search/pi...0crafts&rs=ac&len=11

party, food, decor ideas:

http://pinterest.com/search/pi...20party&rs=ac&len=11

http://pinterest.com/search/pi...20ideas&rs=ac&len=13

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mandylifeboats,

Posts: 4891 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I retired 4 years ago and since then I've been hosting luncheons for groups of my friends 3-4 times a month. It's great fun and not something I did while working. One big lesson for me is everyone is more comfortable with easy meals and it's important to do as much as possible ahead of time. My crockpot has really gotten a lot of use. Everyone loves take home desserts so I make and freeze cookies and brownies. White frosting with red and blue sprinkles for the 4th. A big hit is a variety of ice cream and toppings to make their own sundaes or banana split. When was the last time you made a big banana split??? Two weeks ago we did a make your own taco buffet. Delegate, delegate, delegate. If not, you'll be too tired to enjoy your family. Board games are our entertainment choice. Farkle or bunco is great fun. Ask everyone to bring a white elephant gift for prizes. Remember there's nothing wrong with sandwiches. It's all about the company and not the food.

Posts: 6997 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an easy centerpiece that the kids can have fun with and help with too!

http://youtu.be/Qt-Dq-lHymM

Posts: 188 | Registered: Sep 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post