Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Question about card readers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about card readers Sign In/Join 
Picture of Kjohns
posted
Has anyone ever used one of the card readers like from Paypal or the square? How do you like them?Do you feel they increadsed your sales by offering Visa & Mastercard?? Need input please.

Kathy in NE

Posts: 363 | Location: Lamar, NE USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kraftylady23
posted Hide Post
I have the Square and loved it at my last craft show. It was so easy and they only took 2.7% of the sales such as my sell was $15.00 and they took 27 cents of it, that is less than a bad check would have cost me. This came in handy as I had 2 sells that did not have cash or check on hand. The only problem I had was at times I had no internet access and sometimes I did. However this show was held at a school and the school shuts off their web router on the weekends. But it has worked at the other avenues I sold at.
I see this as a win win, I get the money deposited directly into my account without the risk of a bad check, also the Square is free and really easy to use. I got the square as opposed to paypal as paypal did not offer it when I got the square. Did you know that Best Buy sells the square for $10.00 then when you set it up they deposit that $10. back into your checking account, this is good if you are in a hurry to get one. Again you are not out any money for one. To sum it up yes, I do like the square.
DJ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kraftylady23,

djcreationsonline.com

Posts: 2697 | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kjohns
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I believe we are going to go with Intuit as their fees were a little less or at least give it a try starting in June. Since I live in nowhere land I don't have a Best buy. We are going to use my daughter's phone beings I don't have smart phone. We are a little concerned avbout service at the school, but we figured it if didn't work then we just wouldn't put the signs saying we take Visa/MC. We were able to check out one place we were concered about (it is in the country & kinda in a hole) but she got perfect service down there.

Am still looking for input please.

Kathy in NE

Posts: 363 | Location: Lamar, NE USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a smart phone, what does the schools web router have to do with it? Don't you have your own access to the internet with your phone? It isn't like wi fi where you have to go on someone else's internet is it?

I have a processor that is wireless and it prints out the receipt for the customer and for me. I like it because I don't have to have a smart phone but I do have to buy a sim card every year but it is still cheaper that way. Now if I had a smart phone I would definitely go with the square.

Posts: 661 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kjohns
posted Hide Post
notenoughtime, I would like to know more information on what you use please.

Kathy in NE

posted Hide Post
Kjohns,

I am sorry I just saw this. I bought it refurbished from the company that runs the service. I think they run around 800 new and I believe I got it for 250. If you are still interest let me know and I will get the info together for you.

Posts: 661 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kjohns
posted Hide Post
Thanks notenoughtime but that is a little too steep for me right now. I guess we will try it with the DD smart phone.

Kathy in NE