Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  ? about die cut machines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? about die cut machines Sign In/Join 
Picture of NC HillBilly
posted
Hi Ladies, which do you think is best, the sizzix bigkick, big shot, or cuttle bug? Right now Joann's has the bigkick on sell for $49.95, and I have been wanting a die cut machine. I have the old fashioned red sizzix with the pull down handle. I have been wanting some of the nestabilites dies and don't know if they will work with the old red one. Thanks for a reply.

Pattyo

Posts: 1428 | Location: Dobson, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Pattyo,

You just asked a very loaded question! lol Everyone has their personal reasons for owning what they call their favorite die-cut machine.
I have both the original red Sizzix, the BigShot, and the little Sidekick. (If I am correct, the BigShot & BigKick are the same machine).
Nestabilities will work in the original Sizzix as long as they are less then 5" wide. The BigShot & BigKick give you almost an extra inch of width in the feed, just about 6". That was why I bought the BigShot. It's the perfect size for a standard greeting card, the original is a bit too narrow.

But I will never get rid of the original. It can cut heavier materials that the roller style type die-cutters can't. I like them both and use them both.

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3203 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of surfing
posted Hide Post
Hi Patty
I have both the original red sizzix and the cuttle bug. The cuttlebug is much easier to use and it does the nestabilites with no problem. I haven't tried them in the red sizzix. I am in fact thinking of getting rid of the red one along with the dies as I haven't used it for some time, I'm going to see if there is a Head Start near by and donate it to them. The embossing dies work good to in the cuttle bug. Don't know if this is any help.

Ginny

Posts: 1945 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: Jan 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes i agree with everybody i have the red and the cuttlebug and love it . you would be happy with the cuttlebug that is my choice for machines

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kraftylady23
posted Hide Post
Well if I was just starting I would get the Big Shot or Big Kick, both are great and cut all materials including the nestabilities, sizzix dies etc. One of the reasons is that you can call all sizes! Especially the new larger dies.
Personally I have a cuttlebug and I love it and can cut most of the dies in it, but If I was just starting I would get the Big Shot.
I also have the original red sizzix that I use just for cutting metal with my dies and it seems to cut it better, however you are limited to smaller dies too. Hope this helps.
DJ

djcreationsonline.com

Posts: 2746 | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the red sizzix, the big kick and a Gran Caliber. I like all of them for different things. The red one for cutting heavier materials, the big kick for its lighter weight makes it easier to take with me, and the Gran Caliber for the ability to cut really big - 8 inches. If I was just starting, I would get the big kick.

Posts: 2360 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NC HillBilly
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies. I have ordered a Sizzix Big Kick.

Pattyo

Posts: 1428 | Location: Dobson, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Pattyo,

I think you'll be very happy with your BigKick. :-)

Posts: 3203 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that you have ordered the Big Kick, you need to check out the Sizzix sales on the website. For the 4th of July, they had all the dies on the site that were released before 2013 for 75% off. They have sales frequently but not usually this good.

Posts: 2360 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NC HillBilly
posted Hide Post
Ah shucks, mira's mom, I guess I missed the big sale. I'll keep watch for more sales, thanks.

Pattyo

Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
They have an outlet with discount prices that range from 70% to 87% off, including some alphabets. It's worth taking a look!

http://www.sizzix.com/catalog#...=outlet_since%3Adesc

Picture of Rubyred
posted Hide Post
I think you made the right choice. I have the original red Sizzix (and will never give that up), the Big Kick (or Big Shot), a Cuttlebug and the Grand Caliber. They all are great but with the Cuttlebug you are limited to the size of dies you can use. That's why I went and got a Big Shot. Check out some of the YouTube videos on die cut machines. There are great tuts with lots of tips on how to use all sorts of dies in each machine, what pads you might need to adapt different brand dies or embossing folders. Have fun with your new toy.

Life's too short. Eat dessert first!!!!!!!

Posts: 2526 | Location: CT | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post