Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  recycling craft table "vases" - need weight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

recycling craft table "vases" - need weight Sign In/Join 
Picture of wsu
posted
Making 20 photo decor "vases" for a bridal shower next weekend they will go on either side of planter centerpieces on long tables. for cheap vases am using the bottom half of clear 16 water bottles, stuffed in some floral foam and plan to cover foam with shred or tissue stuffed around to hide it. putting bride pics on skewer "flowers" but the prototype is top heavy - tried to add some rocks or glasss stones for weight but still not very stable and costly/ wondering if there else cheaper that I could use. is plaster heavy? could I pour some in the bottom? Any advise appreciated thx1

Posts: 1280 | Registered: Jun 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenMO
posted Hide Post
About the only time I've used plaster is when making hand prints of grandchildren, and it seems to be easy enough to mix and pour, although it does set up rather quickly, so the vases would need to be ready and waiting for the plaster.

My go-to product for making things stick is that poster putty, or whatever it's called--it comes in little packages and is usually white or yellow. Maybe a good sized blob of that on the bottom of each vase could help.

Good luck, and take a picture for us when you have them finished. You are so kind to make these table decorations for the bride, and don't you just love how it always sounds so easy and quick, but ends up trying our patience??? KarenMO

Posts: 1306 | Location: Hallsville,MO, USA | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wish u joy
posted Hide Post
If you are using the floral foam that's used for live/cut flowers it is meant to be wet and will soak up a good bit of water which would add weight to your vase I have also used dry or wet sand.

Posts: 3917 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: Dec 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought of using sand for weight right away---you could even buy the colored sand used for sand art at craft festivals---

Posts: 287 | Registered: Aug 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sand

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bowlrmom
posted Hide Post
Maybe fill them with wrapped candy for guests to munch on during the shower?

Posts: 370 | Location: SteelerNation | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of farmerswife
posted Hide Post
Weight with sand, than add some water to moisten for more weight.

Posts: 1894 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Oct 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post