Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  PAVERS and VARNISH
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PAVERS and VARNISH Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello. I have 2 pavers to put out in the yard. I put craft varnish on them. From experience, I know they will fade eventually. What kind of varnish should I use? Outdoor varnish from a hardware store? I want to give one to my granddaughter to put in their yard for my two great grandchildren to enjoy so that's why I want the paint to stay. Must I buy a complete set of patio paint for outside?
Thank you I advance for any suggestions!

Posts: 309 | Location: Spring Hill, Florida, USA | Registered: Mar 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe try Marine Varnish....waterproof... check with hardware store????

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Oct 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
There are some small bottles of Patio Paint at the craft store with the other craft paints. You can get basic colors and mix the ones you want also. It holds up a little better than most.

The only clear concrete sealer tends to come in large containers and is really toxic/stinky. It is what is often used to seal garage floors. Not sure even that would hold up to UV rays for long term.

One thing that does hold up really well is using exterior rated mortar to stick pieces of tile, broken pottery, rocks, glass globules, even small flat toys, etc, to a clean concrete paver. Then use exterior grout around all the pieces once the mortar sets. These hold up for MANY years.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Even outdoor varnishes wear over time from rain, snow, UV damage, etc., none last indefinitely. It is always recommended to put a fresh coat of varnish on an outdoor project every year or every other year to keep the piece looking good indefinitely, just like you would the deck on your house. The wear and tear will all depend on the weather where you live.

I do use acrylic paints made for the outdoors but I still put a UV finish on them for added protection. I use Rustoleum outdoor UV protected Varathane which is found at any home improvement store. I've used this for years and it holds up very well, even without added applications over the years. It is water based and low odor.

http://www.rustoleum.com/en/pr...-clear-spar-urethane

Another outdoor finish I would recommend is also a water based, low odor, product from Minwax.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-pro...lmsman-spar-urethane

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rainee,

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have made some of the pavers and stepping stones and used acrylic paint ( some regular and some of the Patio Paint) and then just sprayed with that cheap , clear sealer I got at Wal Mart and they have lasted for years and some winters I forget to bring them inside.

Posts: 2393 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady34
posted Hide Post
I usually will use the patio paints in little jars like the acrylics, they have some nice colors in the selection. Then I use the ceramcoat varnish by delta. It comes in a plastic bottle like the paints and is interior exterior varnish. I have had real good luck with this varnish and it holds up well. I know hobby lobby has it but not sure where else to get it.

Linda

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://stepbystepcrafting.blogspot.com/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Snowman tree and wire box snowman by Paintlady34
password===snowmantree

password- snowmantree

http://s1229.photobucket.com/a...69/Craftingfriends1/

Posts: 3318 | Location: Iowa | Registered: Dec 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post