Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  I need sewing help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need sewing help Sign In/Join 
posted
I have made long sundresses for years, my question is that they always turn up weird on the hems after washing. I've tried little hems, bigger hems, they all roll up. I know it's a round circle, so the grain of the fabric may be part of it, but does anyone have hemming ideas. I thought a bigger hem might have more weight...not. The material is a blend and get most of it at Jo Ann's I always pre wash. Thanks for any help. I'm not a great sewer, but need clothes to wear and have always worn them.
Thanks.. Kathy

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jul 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kraftylady23
posted Hide Post
I did some research on the web and here is what I found.

Re: How do I prevent my hems from rolling up?
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:14:20 PM

I fold up approx. 1/4" and then fold up another 5/8" or more hem.
I have not had any more problems with my hems rolling up.

Lastly another site stated if you stretch the material when sewing the hems will roll up.

I don't sew a lot but hope this helps or at least something you can try.
DJ

djcreationsonline.com

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Good advice DJ. That's how I would do it too. Even with T-shirt material.

Jean

This message has been edited. Last edited by: granny3641,

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help. That's about what I do now because I don't like to hem a raw edge I don't do a large hem as the dress gets smaller as it goes up and then it'll pucker and have to fold the fabric. I always Iron the turns too, to make sure they are flat. I'll just have to iron it as it comes out of the dryer I guess.
Thanks again.
Kathy

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
That's logical. When you want to flare or ruffle you stretch the fabric as you sew. When you have a full circle it's almost impossible not to stretch it. I stay stitch it about 1/4" from the edge, carefully fold it on the stitching, and stitch that down. Then press in your hem, pinning well before stitching it. Hem tape can help too.

Posts: 7031 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
I just got to thinking...I don't ever remember hemming a dress on the machine. I always did it by hand. And believe me when I was a teen I liked fulllll skirts.

(I had a long gray fuzzy coat and wore it over my full dresses. Dad told me I looked like an elephant walking down the street.!!! He was kind when he said it. I didn't get mad at him for some reason.) lol

Anyway, hemming by hand can control the lay and stretch of the material.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Granny. I always hem by hand. Here is a link of the method I use. I hope it helps you.

http://blog.makezine.com/craft...and_sew_a_blind_hem/

Posts: 665 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two suggestions. I am not sure if they will work but they are worth the try.

1- Sew stay tape to the edge of the hem being careful that you do not stretch the material. It would help of you sewed it on with the material on the bottom so the feed dogs gives it a slight ease. Fold up twice and top stitch hem.

2- This is similar. Cut fusible interfacing the width of your hem 1/2" or less. On a circular area the narrower the better. Fuse and then fold twice as above.

If you decide to try one of these let me know how it works.

Posts: 6741 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help! :0)
Hand hemming is something I can't do, my stitches always show thru, that is something my mom did many years ago when making clothes for my sister and I. I have bad eyes and can't see small threads either, but a very good idea, that's why I was ironing before sewing. I thought it would get the puckers out. Maybe I'm pulling when I iron? That's another thought. I have two dresses ready to hem..... wish me luck!
Kathy

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Kathy..if you lived close to me, I would hand sew them for you. I kinda like to do that. Smile

Good luck. Oh...when you iron, just pres dfown on the material, don't slide the iron. And if you do slide, just go up and down, not side ways.

Jean

posted Hide Post
I am short and hem purchased tops. Majority of them have a double row of stitching so that is what I put back in and no roll...perfect. I will say there is no curved..not much ...hem.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jean you are so sweet, thank you for even saying that..
I might try adding another row of stitching on the hem. That might make it a little more heavy and not want to roll. Thanks again for everyone's help........ Kathy

Picture of KansasRetiree
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by granny3641:
I just got to thinking...I don't ever remember hemming a dress on the machine. I always did it by hand. And believe me when I was a teen I liked fulllll skirts.

(I had a long gray fuzzy coat and wore it over my full dresses. Dad told me I looked like an elephant walking down the street.!!! He was kind when he said it. I didn't get mad at him for some reason.) lol

Anyway, hemming by hand can control the lay and stretch of the material.

Jean

Oh Jean,
Reading this made me actually laugh out loud! Thanks. I wore my can-cans with my graduation dress. I had to take the can-cans off because they balooned my graduation gown out with an unappealing look!
Kathleen

Takin it easy...

Posts: 1821 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Kathleen...we sure would have collided if we had lived close together. lol

One time a girl-friend and I each made ourselves a can-can out of screening that they used in storm doors, to help our skirts stand out fuller. lol It's when the flexable (sort of plastic)screening first came out. Wonder if she still remembers that. lol

Jean