Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  pine cone wreath spring time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pine cone wreath spring time Sign In/Join 
posted

i saw this on pinterest and thought i can make that!!! and wa-la... looks so much better in person...
melinda

Posts: 286 | Registered: Nov 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow this,is beautiful!! Are all of the flowers made out of Pinecone petals? What a great way to use pinecones in springtime!!

Nicole

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
That is really cute!

Posts: 293 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NC HillBilly
posted Hide Post
I love it!! Did you cut the pine cones to make the flowers or just use the "seeds"?

Pattyo

Posts: 1432 | Location: Dobson, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of work! Very pretty!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7519 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Craftyrad
posted Hide Post
Way cool!

Ruth Ann

Posts: 1634 | Location: MA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Melinda, Your wreath is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Marylee

Posts: 1494 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is so pretty with all of the different colors!

Posts: 6624 | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love it!
I have always had trouble cutting pine cones.
Do you have any tips on doing this?

Posts: 1041 | Location: NW Florida 8b | Registered: May 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone... I used a pruning clippers... i also used 2 big old pine cones that i probably would have thrown away... half of it didnt look good...and then about 12 of the long skinny ones...

I baked them first. on the lowest temp in my oven on a piece of tin foil.... for about 20 minutes... house smelled wonderful. this opens them up, spits out the seeds and kills the creepy crawlies.... maybe the heat helped cutting them.

then the first day i cut the pine cones into pieces, i broke a couple, but there was still halves let... i used them too for filler. After cutting up the skinny cones...

i put them in bunches... and painted each bunch a different color...my first coat i watered down the paint so it would soak up in all of the crevasses... then went over the top part again to make the color darker.

i used a gloss finish...i debated with this or a semi or satin... but wanted to put it outside, so i thought this was best.

I wired the bigger cones to the grapevine(bought) wreath... i had an extra one laying around... and then hot glued the others in... I took my hair dryer and went around on high to melt all the glue strings.
Melinda

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on cutting the cones.
And the other instructions....

Posts: 1041 | Location: NW Florida 8b | Registered: May 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
That came out so pretty! If you are in my neck of the woods I can fill up a pickup truck with the treasures. hehe

piney

Posts: 3205 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in upstate NY... Am I close? Actually we have enough here!!! Except for the really big ones...

So my friends have decided to have a pinecone party this week to make a few of these.. They're buying their grapevine wreath this weekend. Gathering pinecones, baking them...

I think I'm going to make a white and silver one.. I like bling and I buy the shiny buttons when they go on sale(Joann's) 60%off this week... Plan to put some in the middle of the flowers... Maybe some glitter too.. That might be over kill...

I'm making one that's all purples... Dk purple mostly with a little light purple and whites maybe a few greens...
Melinda

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Melinda, I hope you are going to post pictures of your new wreaths. Your first one is so pretty. It looks like you are getting into the swing for spring. Marylee

Posts: 1494 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Penmac
posted Hide Post
Oh,Oh,Oh...I love this! I have pine trees all over my 2 acres. If the snow ever goes away this year I'll be able to get out there and find some. I guess I could go out into the woodshed and steal...opps, borrow some of the squirels pine cones? shhh....don't tell. My luck, after I make it the squirel will steal it back! LOL Thanks for sharing your WONDERFUL creation with us. LOVE IT!
Penny

Today, Tomorrow and always!

If you see someone without a smile...give them one of yours!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Oct 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Very cool...love it. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7838 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kraftylady23
posted Hide Post
OMG I love this and so unique too. Thanks for sharing your work. You are always so creative. Hitting the Love button.
DJ

djcreationsonline.com

Posts: 2757 | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kraftylady23
posted Hide Post
Just thinking....wouldn't this be pretty in blue and silver or red and green for Christmas. hmmmm now I am thinking. Thanks for sharing.
DJ

djcreationsonline.com

Posts: 2757 | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lynn221
posted Hide Post
Really unique...what a novel way to use pine cones in the spring ! Thanks for sharing...

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rubyred
posted Hide Post
That is just lovely. Looking forward to any other wreaths you create!

Life's too short. Eat dessert first!!!!!!!

Posts: 2526 | Location: CT | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
LOVE THIS!

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is really lovely.

Posts: 688 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post