Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gourds Sign In/Join 
Picture of Rubyred
posted
I have a bunch of gourds that I have dried over the years. Most are small, great for ornaments or bowl fillers.

My question, when a lot of them dried, they got funky colors all over them, so they would have to be painted. But some dried just beautifully. After cleaning them, what would be the best technique for finishing them to use as bowl fillers? I want to keep them as natural as possible. Have heard of using wood stain or shoe polish. Which would be best or do you have any other suggestions? Also, what is the best finish/sealer to use? I would like a semi-gloss, not real hi-gloss but not matte either.
Thanks for your help.

Life's too short. Eat dessert first!!!!!!!

Posts: 2526 | Location: CT | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's all up to you... I would go with whatever you have on hand... Also the same with the poly finish... Whatever you have on hand... Gourds are nice no matter what you do with...maybe you don't want to stain them just poly.. That would work too... Melinda

Posts: 331 | Registered: Nov 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you use shoe polish I am not sure you can varnish over that. You can use a satin varnish to get a low gloss. I would just scrub them up, and put a coat of water base varnish (Acrylic) on them. If you want some color, you can water down some acrylic paint and make a stain any color you want, then varnish.

Posts: 699 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do a Google or you tube search and they will show you exactly how to prepare your gourds.

Posts: 2400 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
I would use a wood oil...Tung, Danish, etc. I use Nordic Wood Oil on the specialty hardwood desk clocks I make in place of a varnish because I want to enhance the natural look of the specialty hardwoods I am using and not actually coat them with a finish. Wood oils are absorbed and bring out the natural beauty of the wood. They would do the same for your gourds. Wood oils are available at any woodworking or home improvement store.

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post