Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Apron out of man's shirt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apron out of man's shirt Sign In/Join 
Picture of Penmac
posted
Once again my cousin comes through with a neat idea. I think it is. I wish I could sew. I have said this a million times. Maybe something to think about for the winter? I'll look into it. Anyway, here are the instructions for it and a picture. I think some of you could whip these up in a heart beat. Enjoy
Penny
Need an apron ... make 1 from an old shirt!

Start with a man's shirt. Cut off the sleeves and the back.

Cut around the collar but leave it intact. I cut very close to the seam so that I wouldn't have to hem anything or have any raw edges....

Use your rotary cutter and ruler to make a diagonal cut from the armpit to the top of the shoulder.

Make sure both sides are even.

On the raw edge that you just cut, turn a hem under, concealing all raw edges, and sew it down. Do this on both sides.

The final step is to make the apron ties. You could use ribbon if you wanted, but I chose to cut strips of fabric on the bias to make the apron interesting.

Close all raw edges in and sew your straps on to the bottom of your diagonal cut. Be sure to backstitch several times for reinforcement.

And you're done!

A couple of final tips-

Flip the collar up until you are completely done with the apron. This keeps you from accidentally stitching it down and it just puts it out of the way!

Second, button the shirt all the way down at the very beginning. This will help your fabric stay straighter.

If you have a plaid shirt, that is a good starter since you can use the stripes as your guide for keeping it straight.

Today, Tomorrow and always!

If you see someone without a smile...give them one of yours!

Posts: 4573 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Oct 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Penmac
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to add I'm heading to the sally ann just to see if I can pick up some of the shirts just encase! LOL
Penny

Today, Tomorrow and always!

If you see someone without a smile...give them one of yours!

Posts: 4573 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Oct 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That apron is so cute. Thanks for showing. It would make a great seller at a craft show.

Posts: 287 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is really clever! TFS!!

If I liked to cook, I would definitely want to make one of these! I think these would make good projects to work on in a basic beginner's sewing class.

In addition to buttoning the buttons down the front, I think I would go ahead and stitch the front closed . . .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pfr4,

Posts: 292 | Registered: Aug 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
I have suggested to make quilts or these aprons out of the shirts when one has lost a husband or dad.

Posts: 3037 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen pictures of the aprons many times and have some saved for later reference. They are really neat and I "plan" to make some -- at least try one.

Posts: 2370 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just_julez
posted Hide Post
I saw these at a show couple of weeks ago ! They are really neat .

Posts: 281 | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just julez, did you happen to notice what they were priced at? just wondering, I may want to add them to my craft booth---thanks!

Posts: 292 | Registered: Aug 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are really easy to make. They are selling here for $25 each.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jun 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a cute idea! I love the idea of having collars on the apron.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another advantage is if you are careful how you cut the apron from the front you can get a second apron from the back. I used a 'only worn twice' long sleeve shirt destined for the thrift shop. I used the sleeves to cut the ties. I still had scrap left over.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jun 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 249 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Nov 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenMO
posted Hide Post
Last week, I went to my nearest SA store, in a town of over 100,000, and the men's shirts were $4 and $5 dollars! I thought that was pricy, and will just use some shirts my DH no longer wears. Maybe yard sales would be a good source for these shirts. Such a cute idea!

Posts: 1376 | Location: Hallsville,MO, USA | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post