Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Does anyone know how to make this beaded owl?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know how to make this beaded owl? Sign In/Join 
posted
I saw this beaded owl ornament on Joann fabrics website. I really really wanted to make it, but don't think the directions are very good. Has anyone ever made something like this before? Is there a video that shows you the general process used to sew beads to Felt? Are you just sewing the beads on one by one? I would still really like to make this. I know that it is past Christmas, but I I'm planning on making numerous things for Christmas gifts for next year. I was so far behind this year that I didn't make nearly half of what I planned to make and I definitely don't want that to happen next year too. So I figured I would take the next few weeks and try to make something for Christmas for next year will I am still in the Christmas spirit! Also my mom and I came up with this really great idea for a tree. We both really love our Christmas tree but it is a lot of work to put it up and get all the ornaments on it. Even though I want to put it up early, it just never seems to work out that way. I also really hate taking the tree down because it seems like there is no reward at the end of it other than getting your space back. At least after all that work at Christmas you have this gorgeous tree sitting there. Also a friend of ours didn't put up a tree for many years, but I kept finding ornaments that I wanted to make for her and her husband for Christmas and numerous other holidays. So we had this idea that you could either buy a tree or make a tree that could stay up year-round. You could make ornaments that are generic or you could make photo ornaments that could stay on it year round and then you could add and take away ornaments depending on the holiday. This is great for me because I was constantly finding ornaments I wanted to make that were either photo ornaments or ornaments for the Easter holiday or summer or something like that. For our friend we bought this gorgeous gold tree from Pier 1 that doesn't look Christmasy at all. My mom wanted her tree made out of sticks so that is what we are doing for her tree. I was planning on making this ornament for both of them and since it is not very Christmasy, I was thinking they could both leave it on the tree through the winter or even year-round if they wanted to. I would appreciate any help or suggestions or tips! Thanks!

http://www.joann.com/beaded-ow...ment/3742819P92.html

Beaded owl

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicole, that owl is really cute and owls seem to be the "in" thing this year. I hope someone can help you with making it, since I don't know how.
As I was reading your entire post, I thought " this could be written by me" I too have said many times I wanted to craft right after Christmas while I am still in the mood and have seen all the adorable ornaments. I love ornaments. I feel the same way about taking the tree down after I have been so slow putting it up.
I do have a year round , about 4&1/2 foot tree, I keep up and decorate all year for different holidays and seasons and you will love doing that. It is exciting to get out a new box of ornaments and "stuff" for the next holiday and dress the tree in new pretties.
All your ideas are very good so "go for it girl" Show us some of the things when you get them made. Have a great day

Posts: 2377 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of redecorating the tree throughout the year. I glanced at the directions and they gave me a headache...but gather everything before starting and I bet the sweet owl will go together quicker than you think. And then you can make one for me! I have a "bird house, & bird themed tree this year (mostly owls).

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7532 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I don't know what to say. The instructions are as clear as mud. No bead sizes except for the seed beads. To bad, the little guy is cute. I youtubed beaded owls, Maybe check pinterest or google it. The crystal tear drops can get expensive and hanks or plastic bags of seed beads are not uniform in size. If you are creative just wing it. Good Luck! Liz

Posts: 963 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: Aug 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look , here. Maybe they'll give you an idea. Liz
https://www.pinterest.com/caorinight/beadwork-owls/

Posts: 963 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: Aug 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions and encouragement! It is nice to know that it wasn't just me who was having a terrible time understanding the directions. It is such a cute and original craft, you would think Joann's would do a better job of describing how to make this because everybody would want to learn how to make it and would go shopping for the supplies at Joann's.

Shawnee, hearing about your tree that you leave up year round has me so excited about mine. I love Christmas ornaments too! Whenever we go out shopping after Christmas, I can't help myself I buy some ornaments. My tree has been so full for years, yet each year I find really cute ornaments to buy. And when I started making crafts about two years ago, I kept finding ornaments that I have really wanted to make.Last year, while I was out shopping I found all of these ornaments that were broken because the stores just toss them all together after Christmas and aren't very careful about it. I ended up buying them because I felt bad for them and didn't want to see them thrown in the trash so I am hoping to repair them soon too. It seems like November and December flew by and there was so much stuff I wanted to make and just didn't have time.

KG, I would love to see pictures of your bird themed tree this year! That sounds really adorable. Do you have different themes for your tree each year? I plan on seeing if I can find the larger beads for the owl this week. I have all of the seed beads. I will let you know how it turns out.

Lz, thanks for helping look for directions. The pinterest owls are really cute. They are all made in Russia which is where I saw another cool beaded project for a fish. Beaded animals must be popular there. I will run some of the directions through a translator.

Nicole

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I gave away my large tree this year and downsized to a slender, shorter tree. I had been buying bird/owl ornaments for a couple of years and decided this would be a "bird" tree.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
A few closer shots

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
The few birdhouses you might see were made by DH if they were wood and all were painted in a simple fashion by me.

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Not the best shots, but you get the idea...

posted Hide Post
Wow, I love this tree! It is gorgeous! I love the way the tree looks. Is it a real tree? I love the adorable owl ornaments, the birds and the bird houses. It is so neat the way some of the owls look like they are lights in the picture! Are they lights or is it just the way the lights on the tree reflect off of the owls in photos? That is a really great tree! I love owls and birds. We have bought several owls when they have them at michaels and over the years we have acquired quite a few birds that are covered in glitter or have really long tail feathers or were missing feathers so I bought them because I felt bad for them and thought I could fix them. That was a really cool idea for a tree. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Nicole

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nicole! The tree is prelit with a few white lights and there is one string of owl lights I found a few years ago. I don't have room to leave it up all year so I don't do a seasonal rotation either...and no kids at home to do it for LOL,

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Nicole, I like the owl you want to make. It is really neat. I hope you can work something out.

KG, I like your bird tree. The pine cones add to the charm. If you had the room, it would be a good tree to leave up all year.

Marylee

Posts: 1495 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shilo1
posted Hide Post
Here's the directions for a very cute beaded owl. Happy beading...

http://pattyperline.blogspot.i...one-lucky-charm.html

Posts: 440 | Location: Colorado Springs, Co | Registered: Dec 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
I love your bird tree

Posts: 3057 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom is going to love those owl lights and ornaments when I show her a picture of your tree! A very original idea. I love it when people have items on their tree that I have not seen before.

Shilo, thank you so much for the beaded owl pattern! I am going to try to make that one too. Is it hard to follow the pattern? I have not made anything that elaborate before.

Thanks,
Nicole

Picture of shilo1
posted Hide Post
Nicole, I have not tried the owl yet. I got go and get the beads in the morning.

Posts: 440 | Location: Colorado Springs, Co | Registered: Dec 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenMO
posted Hide Post
Nicole, have you gone to a Joann's store and asked about the owl you are wanting to make? Sometimes, they will have simple one-sheet projects that have the picture of the project on the front, with instructions on the back. I have no idea if they have such a thing, but it might be worth a visit to a store. Maybe it would even be in a book they have there. Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KarenMO,

Posts: 1382 | Location: Hallsville,MO, USA | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the directions about 5 times... most make sense except where the yard long wire comes into play... not understanding that!!!! I printed this out and will try too... 3.5 inches finished...sounds wonderful... love owls!!! mt Christmas tree is birdhouses and cardinals (mostly) with other birds too... but the houses are made from those wooden ones from Joannes and Micheal's painted white and bling out or i added feather to the roof of a couple... i've been making mine in batches, going on my 4th yr...
Melinda

Posts: 295 | Registered: Nov 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenMO
posted Hide Post
KG in KC, your tree and décor is really pretty. My DH and I know that we won't always be able to put up our 9' tree, so seeing how beautiful your tree looks, gives me comfort to know that we will still be able to have a pretty tree; just a smaller version!

Posts: 1382 | Location: Hallsville,MO, USA | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful. I can't manage mine anymore so will do this next year

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post