Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  I'm not seeing like I used to, need advice---
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm not seeing like I used to, need advice--- Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello all, I hate to admit it, but my eyes just aren't what they used to be. I do alot of reading and most of my crafting is very detail oriented. Currently, I have been making miniatures with polymer clay, machine sewing, and lots of bead work (seed bead size.)

I recently had my annual eye exam---nothing unusual going on, just the normal effects of aging. The doctor adjusted my prescription a bit, and the new glasses help, but I'm looking for some kind of magnifying supplement to use along with my bifocals for the very fine detail work. I don't even know where to start. What do you all use as a visual aid? I'm thinking of some kind of device to clip onto my eyeglasses, as opposed to a tabletop type magnifier. What else is there? If anyone could share some ideas of what works for them, that will at least give me a direction to head.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!! Craft On!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pfr4,

Posts: 287 | Registered: Aug 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
I have magnifying glasses that clip over my trifocals. They work well for detailed work. I also have a lamp with a flip out magnifier. I don't like that as well since I have to keep my work under the magnifier - doesn't alow me to move around.

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, KBlue, I think I'm going to go with the clip on magnifier, too. I agree about the lamp with the magnifier. I craft all over the place and being confined to a tabletop wouldn't work for me, either. Thanks for the input!

Picture of farmerswife
posted Hide Post
This is what we use, and have done so for years. It is the best I've found.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/s...sor&FORM=HURE#x0y707

Posts: 1894 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Oct 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NC HillBilly
posted Hide Post
KBlue, where can I find the clip on magnifier? That would work great for my husband, who has very bad eye sight.

Farmerswife, those look great, but I know he wouldn't try those.

Posts: 1402 | Location: Dobson, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
There is also a larger magnifier that hangs on a cord and can rest on one's chest? It can work for close sewing.

Like these on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UT...ef=pd_sl_athm8pjux_b

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
I have one like this , but it doesn't have a light. And it really works good for close up work.

Jean

p.s. sorry about it being so big and ignore the words around the cord. (The cord hangs around the neck)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: granny3641,

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used these for yrs. and I do a lot of small beading.
https://www.google.com/#q=mag+...5f7&biw=1280&bih=578

Carlene

Posts: 1372 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody! These all look like terrific ideas. Now I definitely see that I have some good options. Thank you all so much!!