Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Oh well....................
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh well.................... Sign In/Join 
Picture of hjvagar
posted
My Christmas is going to be a little leaner this year. I had my house broken into on Friday. They stole a bunch of stuff and the part that really got me crying the most? They stole about 1/2 of my things I had made. Now what thief is so desperate they steal homemade items? And to top it all off, my insurance guy told me that before my husband died he had switched my insurance policy to fire and vandalism - no theft. I had never checked my policy because my husband always handled that. So I am pretty much down in the dumps. Oh well, time to pick myself up and start making more stuff. I'll have a decent holiday if it kills me lol. At least I'm to the point where I can joke a little bit about it. So I won't be on here much - will be busy making more stuff.

Posts: 4289 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
((((HUGS)))) There are some crummy people in the world! I am sure you will come out of this ok with our good wishes & prayers...

PS You have changed your coverage to add theft?

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7548 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear what has happened to you. Sometimes we don't always understand the whys. My T's & P's are with you . Take care Liz

Posts: 965 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: Aug 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Oh Vickie......so sorry to hear this. Kinda know how you feel. Do they have ay ideas who it was? And if there is anything I (we) can do to help, let us know.

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary J
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about the theft. Frown We are here for you, so keep us posted when you can.

Posts: 5234 | Location: Cornfields of Indiana | Registered: Sep 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
That is a bad deal. So sorry, too.

If it helps the tiniest bit, your home made items must have been fabulous!

I was part of a public gallery space for years, and we would comment when an item was ever stolen, it was the most sincere form of flattery and proof of obvious worth as an artist.

Also on insurance coverage, the items that you created would only be valued for replacement of their basic components. Your time and effort to create them would not figure in at all.

Again, sorry that your home was violated this way.

Posts: 9680 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry this has happened to you! Hopefully they will find who did it and will be able to recover your stuff.

Posts: 6790 | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry to hear that. I would be very upset if someone stole the stuff that I made. If there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know. Also, if the thief stole a laptop or computer or cell phone, the police might be able to trace it because I heard that they all have GPS chips in them. But the police won't offer that information and I have heard that you have to ask them to get them to do it. And I would keep an eye on ebay, Craigslist and other similar places for the items you made in case the thief tries to sell them. If you can describe some of the items you made, I can keep my eyes open for them on ebay and other websites and let you know if i see someone selling them. I hope that you get them back.

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Oh no, so sorry to hear this. Take care

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry that happened to you!
I have had thefts several times in the
past so know how you feel. More than once
with no insurance.....
Thanks goodness the last for me time was covered.
I do not have insurance now....246 houses in my area were dropped from home owners insurance.

Posts: 1045 | Location: NW Florida 8b | Registered: May 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
Well, they caught one of them. He is 15 yrs. old. He has yet to give the names and addresses of the other two. I did get back a jewelry box that was Shannon's and it had her jewelry in it plus he stole a set of my house keys and I got those back THANK YOU KNOW WHO before he could make copies. The rest of it is long gone. I have to go to court on the 20th of this month for the one kid and I am NOT going to let him get off easy. I also plan on making his parents pay for the damage and anything else I can get from them. Maybe if they have to pay for it, they will keep a short leash on this little brat. I also plan on getting an order of protection on him. And Nona, I was in tears. I called up my insurance guy and he told me, "Oh when your husband was sick he changed the policy to fire and vandalism - no theft. You remember, when you had the roof done?" Well, funny thing is the roof got done a year and a half after my husband died. So I'm out of luck with that but I am now looking for a new insurance guy - one that gives me a policy that covers what I want and not what he thinks I need. So, there is my latest tale of woe lol. Things will get better though. I have faith! With all the great ideas I get from all of you I will just make more stuff! Saw those cute penguins of penny's and got a gleam in my eye! lol

Posts: 4289 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so glad that they have found one of the guys! His parents will make him tell who else it was or they will have to pay for everything themselves.

Posts: 6790 | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mooki
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are with you! Let us know if there is anything we can do... I'd be glad to send you some stuff... and I am sure my husband would be thrilled as well, lol!

Take care, and keep us posted!

mooki

Posts: 401 | Registered: Feb 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Penmac
posted Hide Post
What possesses people to do such things? sigh..I am glad you got part of your things back. The powers that be will take care of the rest. You have my T & P's
Penny

Today, Tomorrow and always!

If you see someone without a smile...give them one of yours!

Posts: 4638 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Oct 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so very sorry that someone broke into your house. T & P hope that they find them.

Posts: 121 | Location: Los Angeles, Calif USA | Registered: Aug 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kraftylady23
posted Hide Post
WEll that really STINKS!! I really am sorry about the loss and the invasion of privacy too. One time I was shoplifted at my craft show and this lady was caught and I did prosecuted her too. Take care and let us know if you need something.
DJ

djcreationsonline.com

Posts: 2763 | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DianMo
posted Hide Post
So sorry about your vandalism, glad about the subsequent partial recovery and the catching of one of the perp. This time of the year is so bad for that type of thing to happen. I'm sure you will get to remake new gifts and as you said thanks to the people here you may come up with better stuff to make. tfs Dian

Posts: 2753 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry. Hang in there. Hope the parents care where their little brat was!! So many don't know
or care these days. Good luck to you!!

Carlene

Posts: 1815 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
You can't keep a good crafter down! Go get 'em Vicky!!!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9604 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry you have to go through this. You should still have your locks changed. Testifying could anger the ones that haven't been caught and they might come back. You need to investigate your state laws. You may not be able to make his parents pay but you can make him pay with a civil suit.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jun 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post