Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Looking for advise to make an altered book
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for advise to make an altered book Sign In/Join 
posted
Well two of them.. I want to make Halloween ones for my sister ad myself.
I've started and I think I've already messed up. I'm using glossy page books.. Should I stop right here? And try to find paper books or can I do something to these like paint them? Paint? Gesso? I have a lot of pics of our Halloween days.. When our kids were growing up we as adults dress up too and I have lots of pics. I've started to scan and print out all B&W.
Any suggestion
Thanks
Melinda

Posts: 258 | Registered: Nov 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gourd Silly,
I like the idea of making a Halloween altered book. I have seen them made with old books with paper pages. Not sure of the glossy pages.
I found an old book in a thrift store, that I plan on using when I make it
Look on you tube, under altered books, you can get a lot of good idea's and step by step instructions, if you don't get any answers here.
When you finish it please show your book I would love to see it.

Posts: 288 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with 5bells. You tube has tons of ideas and instructions and I go there for ideas all the time. Please do share your finished book with us . They are fun to make

Posts: 2370 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks... I'll check out u tube... I'll keep going with the glossy and if it doesn't turn out... Then it doesn't turn out.. And I'll do it the other way... Unless I finds 2 books soon.
I'll post when done
Melinda

Posts: 258 | Registered: Nov 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
If you want to change the look of the glossy pages inside the books a thin coat of gesso will help you do that. The gesso will also add some tooth if you want to paint or stain the pages. You could stain the pages with inks or paints (I'd do a wash) without the gesso but give it time to dry.
Something I like to do is crinkle up some tissue paper, open it up again, and press it on to the page while the gesso or decoupage glue is still wet. You'll have a nice textured surface to work with.

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3203 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post