Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Repurposed belt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repurposed belt Sign In/Join 
posted
This was a leather belt. That I've painted and added some bling.
Melinda

Posts: 321 | Registered: Nov 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's another part of the same belt.

posted Hide Post
This one is a different belt. I didn't paint it. Both of these belts had designs on them.

posted Hide Post
That last one, I'm going to enter it in our local county fair next week.
M

Picture of SteelersRN
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!

Cindy

May you have love to share, friends who care, and health to spare.

Posts: 862 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Oct 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea. I love that last one. Is it hard to work with the leather? I have a belt that belonged to my late FIL and I was thinking this would make a great Christmas gift for his granddaughters.

Posts: 2381 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it's not bad... If you have a hole punch... The second one is the one I wear all of the time. It has a button.
I did the same thing with a belt my dad made me a long time ago. It's only an inch think and I wrap it around twice... I gave a single wrapped part to my sister... So we can now share something our dad made...
Melinda

posted Hide Post
The is the back side... A little button, leather rope. I use wire to hold it in place.

Picture of Penmac
posted Hide Post
Just stunning all of them.
Penny

Today, Tomorrow and always!

If you see someone without a smile...give them one of yours!

Posts: 4638 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Oct 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Melinda. I will have to look for the belt and see if I can't make some this fall. I'll post pictures if I do.

Posts: 2381 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's pretty addicting... I find a lot of my belts at Goodwill or Salvation Army.. I have a bunch cut and ready for bling!!! I was originally working with wire... There's a wrapped ring post on Pinterest that I had to do a little practicing with... But now have it down!
Melinda

posted Hide Post
This the same belt and with a slide I made earlier.
Melinda

posted Hide Post
You are very crafty! I never would of thought to make bracelets from belts. I bet they are a big hit!

Posts: 6790 | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know I just started..

But thanks everyone.. Your good words keep me going. Melinda

posted Hide Post
These are so neat! I love all of them, but the first one is my favorite. did you buy the jewels as a pendant or did you put it together yourself? It is very beautiful. Where did you find the jewels? I love a lot of jewels and sparkle. And when you say you used a whole punch. You mean one of those really heavy duty ones that are sold in the scrapbooking aisle right? this is a really great idea! Thank you for posting it!

Nicole R.

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first one was a pin I bought at a tag sale.and I have a few more pieces from tag sales.

I've been buying buttons with the joann coupons that's the second one. And all of the small ones that I use for the closure part(last pic).

the one I plan to take to the fair are beads, Veneuza crystals. I love the bling too and wish I would have realize the potential of this. Because I've wasted so many on my mirror and that wreath I did.

The hole I used is from Joann's too but for leather it's a Tandy product. It's called a Maxi Punch Set with changeable tubes and then you use a hammer to do the holes. I did buy the gadget that u squeeze but hands can't work it. I bought that with a coupon too. I even use the pices if the belts with the holes if they are not too worn.
Melinda

posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for all of the information about how you made it. If you are really In need of more jewels, you might want go try ebay especially the ones that are coming from china. Sometimes if you are lucky you can find them for under a dollar with free shipping. Don't know how they make a profit, but I get lot of my beads and rings from there. It takes a few weeks to get here, but you can find some neat stuff. These reminnd me of the type of really nice bracelets they sell at Aldo's which sell for about $30-$40 a piece or nordstoms which is even more expensive,so I am sure people will love them! Thanks,

Nicole

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kobus
posted Hide Post
Great recycling idea, and the fact that the leather is used adds to the charm of the bracelets!

Read about my eclectic ways of recycling:
http://trashcollector.blogspot.com

Posts: 662 | Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a craft show last year I bought an Air Force design belt from a leather crafter. He cut it to my husband's waist size and there was a hunk of leather leftover and I asked for it. Have it now and intend to try something like this. thanks for the info

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Posts: 565 | Location: near Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: Nov 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't wAit to see it...

My bracelet came in third after two amazing beaded ones... Oh well!

Melinda