Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Questions, question, questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions, question, questions Sign In/Join 
Picture of hjvagar
posted
Was trying to sort through my craft supplies today. OMG! I have way too much stuff! LOL. Anyhow, I have purchased things in the past because they were marked down. They were good deals but now I have no idea what to do with them and would love any suggestions. First of all, I have plates. Some decent plastic plates, stoneware plates and cheesy plastic plates - several sizes. Next, cups. I have regular coffee cups, tall cups and even ones with lids.
I have a ton of greens and picks, 6 or 7 large glass things consisting of a couple candle holders (fancy), some tall red candy dishes or I guess you could put anything in them, and one heavy shorter one. I have these small dishes I guess you can bake in them - like small cakes or something - in tree shapes and some just round or square. Tons and tons of all different shapes and sizes ornies. All of it is Christmas stuff.
I also need to ask if anyone knows what to do with cardboard stuff. I have big and small gingies and birdhouses and would like to paint them but I'm afraid they would either swallow up the paint like crazy or the cardboard would bubble up. Do I seal them with something first? Thanks for any help you can give me. I soooo need to get going and use this stuff up so I can maybe sell it and have a nice Christmas for these kids! Thanks again!!!!

Posts: 4289 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Some photos of the "raw goods" might inspire suggestions from us...

I have never had the cardboard/papier mache figures bubble or soak up the paint when I have used regular craft paint. I prefer Delta.

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7532 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cover your cardboard pieces with scrapbook paper. There are a million different kinds out there.

Posts: 694 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Vickie...when you figure out what you are doing with all your 'hidden objects'....come help me figure out mine. I can't believe what I have stuffed here and there. Thank goodness my bed frame is low to the ground or it would be full under there too.

Good luck on finishing up your projects.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plates-- use co-ordinating colors or patterns and make the 2 or 3 tier cupcake plates like they are showing.
Cups, you can use for gift food items or I made some as Christmas decor one year by sticking some of the pretty greenery and floral picks in them along with some Christmas things like gingerbread, snowmen, anything to dress them up as a centerpiece or decoration. Use some of those ornaments you said you have tons of. If you have saucers to go with them, glue them on the saucer and add some of the same items on the saucer ,that are inside the cup.
Candle holders or candy dishes could be filled with the same sort of decorations as the cups or fill the big ones with different color ball ornaments
Go to Pinterest or Goggle and maybe you can decide what to use them for and then let us see photos ! Hope this will be a tiny help

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shawneegal,

Posts: 2377 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
You asked for it Vickie. lol Shawneegal has some great ideas.!!!

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh! Shawneegal you are amazing. Those are some awesome ideas! You are totally right granny! KG - I wish I could post pictures but my digital cam is dead to the world and I need to replace the cord to connect it to my tower to charge it and download stuff. And I have no cell phone - gasp! Yep I'm one of those few people that actually doesn't want one lol. I figure if you want to talk to me, wait til I get home lol. Thanks again shawneegal! Hopefully I will replace that cord and post pics soon! I've already got my lightbulbs out and a few other things that were started but never finished but need to find the other stuff that goes with them. That's how this whole mess started! Nothing is together of course lol. But I've got my fingers and toes crossed that I can get moving on all of this soon.

Posts: 4289 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
I've painted lots of papier mache (cardboard). It does absorb paint rather quickly but the brand of paint you use also makes a difference. The thicker the paint the better the coverage. I use FolkArt, DecoArt Americana, and Ceramcoat paints and they all seem to cover just fine.

Some papier mache may bubble when painted. If so, just poke the air bubble with a straight pin or corner of a craft/razor blade and gently press down to release the air and flatten it.

*If you have concerns you can always seal it first. Sealing will assure good paint coverage and most of the time eliminate bubbles.

I have a stash of those giant coffee cups (remember the coffee shop cups on 'Friends'?) They are huge and make great soup bowls. I've painted holiday designs on them for soup bowls and they can also be attached to a saucer then mounted on a pole to create a bird feeder.

More food item gift ideas...Paint a design on the mugs along with a matching saucer with a cocoa, tea, or coffee theme and fill with sampler packs of tea, coffee, cocoa, etc. Makes a great gift for teachers, office workers, the neighbor next door etc.

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few of those paper mache items... have never had a problem with and paint...

I think we should have a craft party and make something from our stash!!!

A stash party!!! Before and after... don't go out and buy anything... Smile

Melinda

Posts: 296 | Registered: Nov 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
Thanks rainee and Melinda! I base coated the two big gingerbread men I have and they both had a little bubbling but it seemed that as soon as the paint dried, the bubbles disappeared. Of course as soon as I got two coats done I looked for the other color I wanted and it's gone. I will have to make a run to Michael's next week to stock up on the paints I use the most - red, green, white, black and brown. I have tons of other colors but only because I don't use them as much lol. Thanks again!

Oh and Melinda, I would LOVE to have a stash party lol. I wish more of us lived closer together. I bet we'd have a riot with all the supplies we all have!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hjvagar,

Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should have a stash challenge? Give everyone who wants to participate until the end of the month to finish an item in their stash then post it here. If we are successful we can maybe do one stash item per month, just a thought.
I could use some kind of motivation to keep me painting. I was in such a funk and it's taken me a long time to get to it again.

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you have the great big cups but here is an idea I saved that I liked.

Posts: 2377 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make Cookies for Santa out of your plates. Here are some pics of ones made up.

http://www.google.com/search?q...AQ&biw=2068&bih=1102

And make cake stands with the plates.Just glue a candle stick to the bottom. Here's some pics.

http://www.google.com/search?q...nd&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Small Baking dishes-
Make fudge and pour into them and wrap with plastic and sell that way (or as gifts). Press cookie dough in them, make small banana nut bread or any bread.

Coffee cups-
Put hot chocolate mix in them, this pic shows it in a jar but place in plastic bags and insert into the cup.

http://domesticcharm.blogspot....ot-cocoa-in-jar.html

Here's some cup mixes (recipes)
http://www.budget101.com/frugal/mug-cup-mixes-193/

Pics of mugs made up.
http://www.google.com/search?q...AQ&biw=2068&bih=1102

Posts: 6675 | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
Thanks craftyannie. A lot of good ideas there. Will definitely be using a few.

Rainee. That's a good idea but for right now I won't be doing much. My sister just died so I'm putting my craft stuff aside for a bit again. Just when I seem to get the urge and the energy something always seems to happen. Oh well, maybe next time.

posted Hide Post
Annie, you always have a great supply of info on crafts...
Shawneegal, love the gingers...

Rainee, Start-er up... lets do it...

hjvagar, i'm so sorry to hear about your sister, may your memories make you smile.Thoughts and Prayers from NY
Melinda

Posts: 296 | Registered: Nov 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vickie, I am so sorry about the death of your sister. Blessings!
There are some great ideas here--and it is all about time to do things!
I am like you, Vickie, and Jean--I have TOO much stuff, but still want it all, because I always see the potential of those things. Here's hoping that we all have (and take) the time to use some of those things this year....

Posts: 1041 | Location: NW Florida 8b | Registered: May 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjvagar:
Was trying to sort through my craft supplies today. OMG! I have way too much stuff! LOL. Anyhow, I have purchased things in the past because they were marked down. They were good deals but now I have no idea what to do with them and would love any suggestions. First of all, I have plates. Some decent plastic plates, stoneware plates and cheesy plastic plates - several sizes. Next, cups. I have regular coffee cups, tall cups and even ones with lids.

You know, I don't know about a craft...but you could try this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/499125571174602252/

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jenny Jones, You are not allowed to advertise on this board!

Posts: 6675 | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Agree with craftyannie. No advertising.

posted Hide Post
I am really sorry to hear about the death of your sister. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
When you get back to,crafting,i found a few ideas that you might like. Depending on the age of your kids, I think this painted teacup is so adorable. It is from Beauty and the Beast movie. I am An adult and I want one.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/396105729698130446/

You can also write on the plates with a sharpie pen or draw on them. I also recently saw this glass decoupage from Martha .stewart on a show and I had bought some when I was working on Christmas ornaments, you can put a picture on glass and then put the decoupage stuff on it a and after a certain amount of time, it is dishwasher safe. You can use it on plates, mugs, vases, etc.

Here is where someone mod podged maps onto platters and plates. I also,saw This done with fabric on the bottom of the plates.
http://psimadethis.com/lifestyle/map-platter

I also have glittered quite a few vases that I bought at the thrift store. It makes.a mess, but comes out really pretty. I will semifinal can find a picture of one of them.

Oh and I love this idea for,a bird feeder. I want to make it as gifts if I ever get to the thrift store. Don't know where I will put everything I buy, but that is a problem for later. If you arrow down, there's is a gorgeous blue one that would be just as easy to make if you have the dishes. Someone is selling that one so I don't want to post it here, but it is beautiful.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/396105729696443953/

And I also have tons of cardboard boxes. Is there a way to store those so that they are out of the way? They are taking up a,ton of room everywhere, in the closet, by the dresser, behind the jewelry box and next to the front door.

I would love,to see what you make. If I come across anything else, I will let you know.

Nicole

Posts: 254 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots and lots of great ideas here. You should keep busy for a while... unless you are like me. I have tons of ideas stored up and what do I do? I keep looking on here and saving more and more. I seem to enjoy the hunt !

Picture of kraftylady23
posted Hide Post
I have had this cup cozy pinned for a long time and someday I am going to make it. You could fill cup with Easter candy and give to your friends or neighbors.
DJ

djcreationsonline.com

Posts: 2761 | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kraftylady23
posted Hide Post
Paper plates and going to have a picnic or party this works well, did this for a baby shower.
Also I seal my cardboard ornaments with DecoArt all purpose sealer before I paint and it keeps down bubbles and the paint doesn't soak in.
Thanks
Dj

djcreationsonline.com

Posts: 2761 | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post