Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Need brainstorming help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need brainstorming help Sign In/Join 
posted
I've also posted this message on the sewing board.

Hi

I'm planning to sew some table top runners with some lovely decorator fabric strips I've been given. They're about 15 inches wide and at least 45 inches long. I'd plan to back and LEAVE ONE SHORT END FINISHED BUT JOINED. Since I think I want to use them as long hot mats down the middle of my dining room table to avoid the "I've got the hot thing but the mat's at the end of the table" dilemma we have during family get togethers.

My need....since I'll be making a bunch and I'd rather avoid the expense and effort of lining each one, I thought there might be a "something" out there that I could just slide in whichever runner/pad we were using. Not too thick to reduce the risk of a hot dish rocking on the edge. I'm think I'd like it stiff enough to just slide in rather than one long piece of fabric padding. I can sew moderately well (straight curtains, Halloween costumes) but don't quilt or make clothes.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I've made curtains with the largest pieces but these strips are just the right size and the patterns are lovely.

Mary Ellen

Posts: 218 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
You can buy rolls of cork board that can be cut into any shape or length you want. It would be stiff enough to slide into the runner so it could be used as a hot pad and easily removed so you could wash the fabric runner.

You can find cork rolls and tiles at most home improvement stores and some craft stores.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rainee,

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3184 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Corrugated cardboard, cut from large discarded boxes?

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts. Since I hope to make a bunch of these to share with the family, it just seems sensible to make the sheaths and only one filler per family since I'm not quilter.

Mary Ellen

Posts: 218 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post