Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Advice re iron on stiffener also posted on Quilting board
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice re iron on stiffener also posted on Quilting board Sign In/Join 
posted
I've printed some personalized cancer ribbons on Colorfast Printer Fabric by June Tailor. As recommended, I've backed one with iron on interfacing to avoid fraying when I cut them out but it's still not as stiff as I'd like. Before I work on the remainder of the sheet, does anyone have any recommendations. Since there are only 2" by 1" I'd rather avoid sewing them on to anything. (I've gotten myself into another fine kettle of fish.)

Mary Ellen

Posts: 218 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you think of gluing them to a piece of heavy cardstock cut out in the same shape?

Posts: 6566 | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Craftyrad
posted Hide Post
I think there is an iron-on Peltex (a heavy interfacing. Haven't made any pins for a while, so I've forgotten what I used. I think I also used Steam-a-seam and a foam sheet at one time.

Ruth Ann

Posts: 1634 | Location: MA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally just used Mother's other brand of iron interfacing and it will be good enough though if I ever do this again (and I won't) I might as well just print on the quality linen printer paper. My guess is it would be just as heavy and be a lot less bother. Should have thought of it in the first place.

I will recommend that you be very careful with your iron temperature when using the Colorfast Printer Fabric. I ended up scorching the first real run at the 1 minute mark. No problem with smearing however.

Thanks for the input. Mary Ellen

Posts: 218 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post