Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  ? ...need to apply ****...FINISHED! whew....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? ...need to apply ****...FINISHED! whew.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Aunt Diane
posted
I need to add lots of stitching lines to a painting project. And I picked up a Sharpie "marker"...but I have had markers bleed after I have tried to seal my work. (I couldn't find a Sharpie extra fine "paint pen".Which is what I think I need.????)
Any suggestions or experience!!!please share.
TIA
Diane

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aunt Diane,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Snowman Tree: byPaintlady34
Password: snowmantree

http://s1229.photobucket.com/a...69/Craftingfriends1/

Posts: 7480 | Registered: Jan 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Penmac
posted Hide Post
Diane I have use sharpies many times ( Good times and bad time if you know what I mean! ) What I have found is if I do the line work and leave it over night it seems that it doesn't run. I give it a quick very light coat to seal and then let it dry. Then a heavy coat or 2 after. I hope this works for you as well?
Penny

Today, Tomorrow and always!

If you see someone without a smile...give them one of yours!

Posts: 4569 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Oct 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aunt Diane
posted Hide Post
Thank you Penny. I thought I remembered reading to let it dry well.
>Penny, what brand of sealer are you using? I would like to use a satin. But I would be very interested in the brand that you have used?
Thanks again,
Diane

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Penmac
posted Hide Post
Hi Diane...well what I use is called " Varathane " and I use satin or high gloss but this time I tried " Diamond Finish " Not impressed. It seems to be tacky even after a week? I'll go back to the others next time. It is a water based varnish so it's easy clean up.
I hope this helps. Not sure they sell it in USA or not?
Penny

Posts: 4569 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Oct 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kraftylady23
posted Hide Post
Diane,
I would suggest that you use the Lowel Cornell fine liner tool or an IdentI-pen for your stitch line. Both are easy to use. Anytime you use a Sharpie marker and then try and varnish over it you run a chance in having the Sharpie marker to run due to the chemical make up of varnish. If you are going to use a sharpie you need to use a water based varnish. I recommend using DecoArt all purpose sealer or varnish. Both are for sealing or protecting painted items. Varnishes that you purchase from Home stores really are not made to put over painted items, in time they will turn yellow. If this is something you have painted cherish it and use varnishes that are made just for acrylic paints. Just a suggestion and my knowledge of painting.
DJ

djcreationsonline.com

Posts: 2698 | Registered: Mar 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aunt Diane
posted Hide Post
Hugs, to both of you for all your help.
What I purchased is called Delta Ceramcoat Varnish,it says it is for protecting over Ceramcoat acrylic paints.
I could only find it in a liquid form and not in a spray. In fact I couldn't find any spray on sealer from any of the Acrylic paint companies.??? Do they still make it? (I did find one spray from Folkart, but it used an acetone in it and that made me shy away from using it.)
I really wanted a spray...makes me nervous pulling a brush over my line work since I did use a sharpie...LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
I use the cheap (inexpensive for those that object to the word cheap) clear spray acrylic you can buy at walmarts or any hardware. Give it a light misting, or maybe two. Then I follow with a brush on type, depending upon the look I want.

Posts: 6725 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lowel Cornell fine line tool

I so agree... during the summer someone (sorry, can't remember) turn us on to this....its a wonderful tool.... I redid a few of my items with it and they sold... I believe it was on sale back then...
Good luck on whatever you decide to use, I'm sure it will work... that's the crafter way...make it work!!!
clear spray...i use whatever is the cheapest! light spray at first then a heavier one.
Melinda

Posts: 227 | Registered: Nov 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aunt Diane
posted Hide Post
Not finished with the all the detail and shading but I am keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't bleed the line work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Aunt Diane
posted Hide Post
Well so far so good.
I took a small brush and went over the line work with matte sealer...then when dry I went over it with satin sealer/by Delta.
I think you ladies are right.
#1. waited for 24 hours to make sure sharpie was dry.
#2. used a matte to cover line work
#3. used a sealer ment for crafts (not hardware varnish).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Aunt Diane
posted Hide Post
I guess this project is done. The girlfriend likes the clean look... so no shading. (it looks like it has been wood burned...kind of cool!)
I left areas for her to add some "bling" of her own using charms and other findings that she has collected.
Diane

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Penmac
posted Hide Post
Diane this is wonderful. I am so glad that things worked out the way they did. No shading less work. LOL Nice. I do like my sharpies when I can use them. LOL
Penny

posted Hide Post
Your work is beautiful! I haven't been on in a long time so I didn't see your post before. A couple of options...You can use a Micron pigma pen for doing fine line work. They come in a variety of thicknesses and color and I've had good results with them. I spray my finished pieces with Krylon Matte Finish (1311). I think they make a gloss finish as well. Both of these products used to be recommended in Decorative Woodcrafts magazine for a lot of their projects.

Posts: 699 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! That turned out really, really nice!! TFS!

Posts: 287 | Registered: Aug 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Aunt Diane
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your help and compliments.
~craftymouse, I will try to remember your suggestions...a big thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Diane, love your boot. You did a great job and I'm sure your friend loves it. TFS

Posts: 2351 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure your friend loves it very much! Nice job.

Posts: 6368 | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post