Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Glue question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glue question Sign In/Join 
Picture of teecbear
posted
Hello Ladies. Its been quite some time since I have posted, but I thought of you when I started having issues finding the right glue. I am trying to make the bird feeders from teacups and mounting them on copper piping and their end caps. No matter what glue I use, them come off the caps. I have sanded them before gluing (in case you are wondering). Any ideas would be appreciated!

Posts: 641 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
I use E6000 for all my hard-to-glue surface projects. It works great on metals and glass and pretty much everything else. I call it the glue that will glue anything to everything. lol. I would still recommend sanding the areas to be glued first.

I have metal/glass garden pieces that have been out in my yard for years that were repaired with E6000. Still holding!!

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3186 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of teecbear
posted Hide Post
Thanks but that is the last glue I tried. I have tried silicone, another glue which I cant remember the name but states its permanent and my last attempt was E6000.

Posts: 641 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
When gluing metal to metal, or in your case metal to china/ceramic, cleaning both surfaces is very important...but I am betting you have done this.

Sounds like a very small area that is in contact, compared to the width and weight of the china? Maybe use some (JB Weld) 2part metal epoxy, to widen out the cap on the pipe, if you cannot find a plumbing cap that is a wide plate?
One other thing that can sometimes work is place a thin piece of mesh fabric between the china and metal. It can be thin poly twill, nylon screen, gauze...anything that can create a glue-able surface bond sandwich between the two hard materials. I like either an exterior rated two part epoxy or exterior silicone for any outdoor projects.

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of teecbear
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I tried the exterior epoxy but is didnt work either. I will try to use something between the cap and the saucer!

Picture of wolfmyster
posted Hide Post
Try Go 2 glue by loctite. I have used it to make garden flower with the dishes. They have been outside all summer long. I bought it at Walmart but I have seen it at Home depot and Joanns.

Michelle

Posts: 308 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: Dec 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
Just wondering. Do the ends of the pipe have threading? If so maybe you could get a flat washer and just barely screw it on then put epoxy or some other glue to hold it in place. That would give you a wider surface to mount the cup and saucer.

Posts: 4286 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Copper pipe is soldered, and never threaded. Too soft to hold threads.

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of teecbear
posted Hide Post
Correct, there is no threading and I think my issue has to do with how little of an end cap I am trying to glue on. I used the same glue on sealing the cup to the saucer and it has held even when the raccoon have knocked it to the ground

Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
Thanks Conrad. Never really worked with copper pipe before.

Posts: 4286 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
hjvagar, It was a very reasonable assumption. Wink

posted Hide Post
Try giving your surfaces some 'tooth'. Lightly sand them with course sandpaper or course steelwool. It needs to roughen the surface not smooth it. Be sure to clean the dust and andy fingerprints before gluing. This will give the glue something to hold on to.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Jun 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of teecbear
posted Hide Post
I have tried and tried and tried all suggestions and nothing is holding it. I am at wits end

posted Hide Post
The only silicone that I have found to 'hold' is the GEII for windows and doors. The other silicones did not hole for me. I did notice that they have 'new and improved' it since I last used it, so now who knows. I also saw a GE that I had not seen before that said for guttering....Did not notice if it was clear or not. I have used copper pipes as stakes, but only used pvc caps on the bottom of the saucers.

Posts: 1036 | Location: NW Florida 8b | Registered: May 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of farmerswife
posted Hide Post
Are you allowing enough time for the glue to cure?

Posts: 1894 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Oct 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of teecbear
posted Hide Post
Yes I have left the cap glued to the bottom of the saucer anywhere from 72 hrs to 1 month before trying it. Nothing has worked!