Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Chocolate ornament
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chocolate ornament Sign In/Join 
posted

Posts: 249 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Nov 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Cute and easy. Thanks for pointing it out to us.

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10034 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea!! Looks good enough to eat!!

Carlene

Posts: 1663 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like these!
I have used that brand of paint before and
it always works good for me!

Posts: 1041 | Location: NW Florida 8b | Registered: May 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does look good enough to eat! Cute ornament.

Posts: 6611 | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is really really cute. Thanks for sharing with us!!

Posts: 790 | Location: michigan | Registered: Apr 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOVE THIS! I work at the senior center a lot and will definetly be making these with them as I have a lot of balls left from last years projects TY

Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Penmac
posted Hide Post
These are wonderful. Now to see if I can get this paint? I see its from Micheals but not here in Canada. sigh...I WILL find something close! TFS
Penny

Today, Tomorrow and always!

If you see someone without a smile...give them one of yours!

Posts: 4573 | Location: Ontario | Registered: Oct 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got to this site and could not get away from it for a long time.
Some really beautiful things there.
She has cancer and is still working on her products. I said a prayer for her.....

Posts: 1041 | Location: NW Florida 8b | Registered: May 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG this is the cutest and easiest ornament I have seen in a long time. Rest assured it will be on our tree this year.....tia

Posts: 56 | Registered: Oct 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SoonerDee
posted Hide Post
That is so cute. My sister and I are planning on making some for her church's Christmas Tea. It touched my heart because my sister is battling cancer as well. The lady that has the blog is fighting a tough battle but is so creative.

Posts: 98 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried these in the short time since this was posted? Too cute! What glue would you use to adhere the broken candy canes to the ornament?

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7516 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
I just started making them. Made one as a test and it turned out really cute so now I've got 11 more hanging to dry. I didn't even look at the directions - just thought, wow, those look easy and tried it. Not sure if it's in the directions or not but I painted the glue part white before putting the glitter on. I also did not use the plastic ornies since I didn't have any - at least ones I could find lol. I made my own out of clay. The one that is done turned out nice enough that my oldest came home from school and said, "Mom, that is really cute!" so it passed the teenager test lol.

I just used my E6000 to attach them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hjvagar,

Posts: 4289 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I just came home from shopping for this. I gave away my clear glass bulbs last year because they were taking up room & not being used...grrrrr....
Hobby Lobby & JoAnn's did not have the paint, but I bought the last can of brown at Michael's. Out of all the glitter I have there was not one suitable for this. Had the candy canes though! Who knows when I'll get to them...
I hope to see some posted here soon!

Posts: 7516 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first looked at it, I thought it was real chocolate haha. It looks like the chocolate they show on the Lindor Chocolates commercials. I will have to try making these!

Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Tried a smaller size too. Here is step 1. I won't get back to them until I figure out how I am going to prop them up to paint. Wonder how it would look if I put the hanger on & sprayed that too????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KG in CA,

posted Hide Post
Could you use a thick piece of Styrofoam with pencils or wood sticks in it, ornaments upside down, then spray. I hope that made sense.

Posts: 249 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Nov 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Yes, but my brain doesn't like the up-side-down painting aspect LOL. I'm still thinking since I can't work on them again 'til the weekend. Thanks!

Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
I just went outside and each ornie had a piece of wire attached to the hanger part and I held onto that and sprayed them and then hung them on the handles of my garbage can and recycling bin to dry lol.

Posts: 4289 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Dec 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
So you did spray the original hanger too?

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Maybe put the silver hanger (top) back on and wrap a piece of painters tape around it so you don't spray the top. Wear a rubber glove and hold up by hand---outside of course---and then like Vickie says, hang somewhere to dry. Take tape off when you hang it up, before it is dry.

Just a suggestion.

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10034 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a clothspin and rubber gloves?

Picture of SoonerDee
posted Hide Post
My sister and I started working on these today. I failed to read the directions "exactly" and bought just regular candy canes. I have searched both Hobby Lobby and Michaels. I cannot find plastic candy canes. Frown I'm thinking we may have to substitute. Has anyone else found them? I bought red balls at Big Lots and the paint did not cover them even after 2 coats. It also dripped of them. Weird. My sister bought light blue ones and they were perfect. Go figure. More to follow.

Posts: 98 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found some at the dollar tree store.

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I saw them at our Michael's, and have always found them at the Dollar type stores in past years.

Picture of hjvagar
posted Hide Post
Sooner - just buy some red, white and green clay. I made candy canes out of it and then cut them into pieces to make mine. Was a lot easier than trying to find the plastic ones.