Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Holiday Crafts
  Question from a friend on the Quilting Board
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question from a friend on the Quilting Board Sign In/Join 
Picture of dd quilts
posted
I have a good 30 book set of Encyclopedias that are 30 years old and before I get rid of them I want to make sure there is not some COOL craft that could be made from them.

I am on the Quilting Board and someone said I should ask you crafty folk! LOL

Thanks and looking forward to ideas!

dd

Posts: 268 | Location: Charleston SC | Registered: Jun 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left an answer on the quilting board.

Posts: 203 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google -- altered books
It is so hard for me to give up old, nice books but I know there comes a time when we have to do that.
I always try to find small libraries who need donated books. Hope you can find some good use for them

Posts: 2350 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewhere, I saw some books that had been used to make a little shelf. It involved taking 2 or 3 books and cutting them with a saw into a triangle so that the spine of the books was on the front. You cut from the top and bottom of the spines to the edge of the book so that the edge of the book was the right angle that fit against the wall. I believe that they took the pages out of the books and glued in a board or boards to the proper thickness. The books were attached together, and the covers of the book that were on the outside were glued shut. Another book was laid on the top edge for the shelf part. I believe that it was screwed down. Hangers were attached to the back. I wish I could draw a picture on here to show y'all!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google "shelves made from books" and see what you find!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot that one MsSippi, I saw that and thought it was so neat and I saw a whole bookcase made the same way.

Posts: 2350 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you could make them into boxes by glueing the pages together and to the back of the book. Then cut the center out of the book. Leave the front cover loose to open the box.

Posts: 2315 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post