HGTV Message Boards
Question from a friend on the Quilting Board

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1004031632/m/1173909967

Apr 21, 2013, 10:31 AM
dd quilts
Question from a friend on the Quilting Board
I have a good 30 book set of Encyclopedias that are 30 years old and before I get rid of them I want to make sure there is not some COOL craft that could be made from them.

I am on the Quilting Board and someone said I should ask you crafty folk! LOL

Thanks and looking forward to ideas!

dd
Apr 21, 2013, 10:56 AM
5bells
I left an answer on the quilting board.
Apr 21, 2013, 02:07 PM
shawneegal
Google -- altered books
It is so hard for me to give up old, nice books but I know there comes a time when we have to do that.
I always try to find small libraries who need donated books. Hope you can find some good use for them
Apr 23, 2013, 12:41 AM
MsSippi2
Somewhere, I saw some books that had been used to make a little shelf. It involved taking 2 or 3 books and cutting them with a saw into a triangle so that the spine of the books was on the front. You cut from the top and bottom of the spines to the edge of the book so that the edge of the book was the right angle that fit against the wall. I believe that they took the pages out of the books and glued in a board or boards to the proper thickness. The books were attached together, and the covers of the book that were on the outside were glued shut. Another book was laid on the top edge for the shelf part. I believe that it was screwed down. Hangers were attached to the back. I wish I could draw a picture on here to show y'all!
Apr 23, 2013, 12:47 AM
MsSippi2
Google "shelves made from books" and see what you find!
Apr 23, 2013, 09:39 AM
shawneegal
I forgot that one MsSippi, I saw that and thought it was so neat and I saw a whole bookcase made the same way.
Apr 23, 2013, 02:58 PM
mira'smom
you could make them into boxes by glueing the pages together and to the back of the book. Then cut the center out of the book. Leave the front cover loose to open the box.